Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just snapped this picture and she is out cold now. Poor girl had to have 6 teeth removed. Now I feel bad that I didn't do it sooner. I didn't want her to have to wear the cone so I found this little scarf for her. I'm glad it's done and she is home resting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Aww Autumn. Heal fast beautiful girl.

Reactions: Autumn's Mom

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
How's Autumn doing?
Question... does she have hard chews that may have caused tooth problems? Cassie has/had a crack through her lower rear molars but still has those teeth. Im sure she must have cracked them on antlers or hooves. I took all the chew type items away.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How's Autumn doing?
Question... does she have hard chews that may have caused tooth problems? Cassie has/had a crack through her lower rear molars but still has those teeth. Im sure she must have cracked them on antlers or hooves. I took all the chew type items away.
Yes she does. Well she steals the ones we buy for our Golden. She never really liked hard chews until we bought them for the puppy. She most likely cracked it on that. My Vet mentioned it at her last check up and suggested a cleaning within the year. I tried brushing her teeth but I just couldn't get them clean. I suppose I should have brushed them more often. I had a different Vet do the dental cleaning. She called during the procedure and explained how bad her teeth were. She said you really can't tell how bad it is until you are in there. I knew she had bad breath and they looked bad from what I could see. I guess looking back I should have done it sooner. She did seem like she was getting cranky. I'm sure she was in pain. I kept thinking of the cost and it is hard to justify spending that on a dogs mouth. I don't have pet insurance on her. And I never had teeth problems with my other Golden. Do the smaller mouths of the Beagle build up plaque more? Just did a quick search. Here it is.
Dental Disease
And unfortunately, your Beagle is more likely than other dogs to have problems with her teeth. It starts with tartar build-up on the teeth and progresses to infection of the gums and roots of the teeth.

Beagle | - Aubrey Animal Medical Center

That is exactly what the Vet was saying about the plaque turning into worse problems. I guess I would say if anyone is noticing bad breath with their dog and plaque on their teeth that you just can't get clean go ahead and do the dental. Autumn does seem happier today. The poor girl was in pain and I didn't put it together. :rolleyes: I'm glad it's done.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I have the pet plan through Banfield which is associated with Petsmart. I added the cleaning at the last renewal. Next time it comes up for plan renewal in march '21 ill take off dental Cleaning since she wont need it for awhile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts