Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Administrator
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

· Registered
5,048 Posts
Well, Helena, we know you are responsible for handling this password change on other boards as well.

Warning to all my BW friends, the password change just took place on the German Shepherd forum I belong to. It is a disaster. After 8 years as a member on the GSD forum, I cannot log in. When I finally was given a new "totally ridiculous password" I found my user name has also been changed. The board is now treating me like a new member, I cannot even post. And - I had to sit through Progressive Insurance ads to prove I was a human.

I am FB friends with a lot of people on the other board. It is a complete and total mess. So - I'm just warning you what to expect here. It ain't gonna be pretty.

· Registered
5,048 Posts
I am FB friends with one of the mods, on the other board. She said it's worse now than it has ever been. The flying monkeys have taken over. I just found out that one of the admins has also been locked out. How crazy is that?

I'll change the password I was given to use, slightly, but this is pretty close:
5CH3s,E-m} Yes, I swear, with little deviation - that is my new password.

"We don't want it!", we said. "It's a dog forum!", we said. "Our password here has nothing to do with our password anywhere else.", we said. "We always have the option of changing our password, if we want to.", we said. But alas, no one listened. We were beat down.

Hopefully, the GSD board is teaching them a lesson. It is a HUGE, very active board. Uh - it WAS a huge, very active board.

For me, it isn't even about getting mad and leaving a board. I am old and not very computer literate. Y'all know that about me. It is all too complicated. It will get to the point that I just can't join, which makes me sad.

Judit, I'm sending you a PM.

· Registered
1,527 Posts
I changed my password.
But let me tell you if can't login anymore smoothly, let's say after trying twice? I leave the group.
I know nobody cares , but I don't want more complications in my life, I have enough.
We care, I actually was wondering where you were a bit ago. You guys are all like a little Beagle family to me. So I know I care. Didn't change my password yet. Will this change cut down on the spam?

· Registered
6,551 Posts
I am FB friends with one of the mods, on the other board. She said it's worse now than it has ever been. The flying monkeys have taken over. I just found out that one of the admins has also been locked out. How crazy is that?

I'll change the password I was given to use, slightly, but this is pretty close:
5CH3s,E-m} Yes, I swear, with little deviation - that is my new password.

"We don't want it!", we said. "It's a dog forum!", we said. "Our password here has nothing to do with our password anywhere else.", we said. "We always have the option of changing our password, if we want to.", we said. But alas, no one listened. We were beat down.

Hopefully, the GSD board is teaching them a lesson. It is a HUGE, very active board. Uh - it WAS a huge, very active board.

For me, it isn't even about getting mad and leaving a board. I am old and not very computer literate. Y'all know that about me. It is all too complicated. It will get to the point that I just can't join, which makes me sad.

Judit, I'm sending you a PM.
So is that crazy password to be the temporary one until you change it? Or is that it? Oh man...

· Registered
5,048 Posts
We care, I actually was wondering where you were a bit ago. You guys are all like a little Beagle family to me. So I know I care. Didn't change my password yet. Will this change cut down on the spam?
Part of the problem is that it isn't clear when the mandatory change takes place. A friend on the other board had just changed her password the day before changes were implemented. She had to change it again.

Helena's post says we will be notified. On the other board, I never was, so just got locked out.

There is still spam. I have no idea what the powers that be are trying to accomplish. Supposedly, it is to keep us safe from hackers. My password here does not tie into anything else. We all have the option of changing passwords, if we feel compromised. It shouldn't be mandatory.

· Registered
5,048 Posts
So is that crazy password to be the temporary one until you change it? Or is that it? Oh man...
I haven't tried to change it, because it still has me as a new member, with a new user name. I am trying to get that fixed. But heck, even one of our admins is locked out. Nothing is getting fixed.

My understanding is that the passwords can be changed, but they cannot be simple. As Helena stated above - you can't use Fluffy. I'm a grownup. I should be able to select my own password.

· Registered
5,048 Posts
NB. did you have to post twice to be allowed more permissions?
Do you mean, when they made me a new member over there? No. I could post, but my posts had to be approved by a mod, before it became visible. I had to post a couple for approval, before they just started showing. Once they were approved, they all showed. Weird. Still posting under my 'new' user name. UGH!

· Registered
462 Posts
I just got the change your password prompt. Through e-mail, I was given a temporary password -- ridiculously complicated one. Then they provide a link you use to immediately use your new password to the password of your choice. You need your new password to change to your own password so be sure to write it down when you use the link. Hope this helps. It's not as complicated as it sounds.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.