Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the girls for our daily walk, and as I rounded the corner of our block, the door to the owners house opened and out came running their German Shepard. He usually barks when we walk by his fence, but never in a vicious way. As we walked by he pulled free of the owners grasp and ran at us. The girls started barking and he lunged at Casey snapping and biting. I stepped in between yelling. The owners finally came and grabbed him. Casey was fine, she had some scrapped fur, but more scared then anything. It wasn't until we got home I realized I had a bite on my leg. No broken skin, but there nonetheless. Poor Hunter and Casey walked the whole way home tails between the legs, fur on end. I never said much to the owners-I was more concerned with getting away. They never apologized or anything.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about things like that. I think that the RSPCA should step in and seize the dog and make sure it gets a proper owner who shows it some love and attention and doesn't turn it into an evil dog.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That is so sad when dogs are allowed to do that sort of thing. I'm sorry you had to go through that with your "kids". The owner could have at LEAST apologized or checked to see if anyone was HURT!
Big hugs to you and the girls!

Glenda 'n the pack

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
How awful! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotatesmiley2.gif I'm glad you all got home safely. If it was me, I would have to let the owners know I was bitten during that episode, especially since they didn't even apologize. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/pureevil.gif

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Poor girls! I hope you all are OK.

Oh that makes my blood boil! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/th_scared.gif I can't believe they didn't even apologize!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the well wishes I just had to vent. I felt bed for the girls after we got home they wouldn't leave my side. I think they knew I was upset and wanted to be with me. We are fine but my husband was not happy. I think he may go have a chat with them later.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
So sorry to hear about your scary walk! Thank goodness that your injury was not more serious -- I really do think your husband or you should talk with them and let them know that you got bit. How awful that they didn't even care to ask if you were all right!

·
Registered
751 Posts
sorry to hear that. I am so worried about that happening. Our neighborhood is very quiet, but there are a lot of dogs. We've had 3 run up on us at different times, but never menacing. I will admit here amongst friends, I carry a stick with me under my arm.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Janna, I am sorry this happened to you. I think you should go back and make sure the owners of the other dog know you have a bite. Take a picture and date it in the event that anyone else has a problem later.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm so sorry this happened to you and your girls. I'm glad the beagles weren't hurt, but I agree that you should notify the owners that the German Shepherd bit you.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hope you and the girls are okay and no permanent damage to their (and your) soul is done.

I think you should report this to someone, at least so they know and "red flag" it or something. The next time (and there probably will be a next time - unfortunately) something like that happen, there will be consequences...

Fell better (all 3 of you).

·
Registered
134 Posts
You definitely need to report this. Have the husband go WITH you to their home and give them an opportunity to satisfy you that they're handling it and that it was an isolated incident.

If the owners are rude or otherwise unapologetic (or if they seem too stupid to understand that this is a big deal that they need to handle), then you need to call several folks.

First, call the police and file a report. Include a photograph of your bite and make sure it's written down that the dog attacked both you AND your dogs.

Second, if the police do not immediately take the dog away from the owners or give you satisfaction that the dog is being handled in some other way, you need to call Animal Control and file a report with them. Same drill as with the cops.

Third, if you still do not receive satisfaction that this is going to be resolved well, call your local Humane Society. Briefly tell them what happened and that no one is listening to you. Then...ask them to advise you about what you can do going forward to get the dog taken out of the neighborhood.

This time...the dog bit a grown woman and a beagle. Next time, he might bite a small child who would fall down and then get mauled.

I don't mean to sound over-reactive, but a shepard could kill a child (or another dog) or leave permanent damage. It SHOULD be the owners' responsibility, but since they're stupid people, the onus falls on you. Don't let fear of some neighbor (especially one who doesn't deserve your respect anyway) getting angry or offended keep you from doing the right thing, imo.

Poor ladies. I hope your leg gets better quickly and I am SO glad that neither of your furbabies was hurt.

·
Registered
794 Posts
that's too bad. I'm glad you all are okay.
funny, when we walk, the dogs that get loose and come bark at my girls are all these teeny dogs!! But I always apologize to them for my dogs howling at their loose dog....

·
Registered
443 Posts
Janna - I totally agree with MrsNix - and maybe some may think it is over-reacting but I would rather do that now than have the worst case scenario happen later. I would document that bite that you got - maybe even have a doctor look at it, just to be on the safe side - besides, that would be another document to prove it happened. And even if it didn't break the skin, it could still leave a good bruise (hematoma) which could lead to an infection later (highly improbable but still possible). I hope I'm not scaring you with this talk but I have heard of things like this happening.

You & your two furkids were very lucky /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/photo.gif& the owners of that other dog are insensitive & uncaring of others & their own dog - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gifthey do not deserve the gift of having a dog in their lives. I am so glad that you & puppers were not seriously hurt.

·
Registered
837 Posts
TM, you shouldn't have to apologise for your dogs reacting because offlead dogs are barking at them!

I don't find it acceptable for any dog to be off lead without being under effective control of its owner, be they big or small.

I was walking my dogs the other day in an ON lead area and a woman had her three dogs off lead. Two of the dogs were little terriers and came running up to my two, barking and carrying on aggressively. I was furious and yelled at the woman to call her dogs back and put them on lead like they were supposed to.

I get really annoyed with dogs being off lead when they shouldn't be, because it ruins it for the rest of us who do the right thing and control our dogs be they on lead or off.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
So sorry to hear about your bad experience. Things are even worse when you know the dog lives nearby. We have two problem dogs opposite us, a German Shepard and a Rottweiler. We always make sure neither are out on the road when setting off for a walk with our two.
Last week the Alsation bit the Rottweiler, just attacked it in the street. Fortunately the Rottweiler didnt fight back. Now the Alsation owner is getting the vets bills and is being sued, as this is the third time it has bitten the Rottie. The alsations owners are in the late 80's so cant walk the dog. When it does get out it goes crazy. It ran at Susi and Snoopy in the woods, but they both attacked it- shock therapy and it ran off.
I would certainly talk to the people, make sure they dont let it happen again.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Start carrying a stick and whupping some a**! I carry a stick too, Marley's Mommy! I don't play around when it comes to protecting my baby! Definitely report it. A dog just doesn't run around attacking people and other dogs unless there's something else going on (cruelty, neglect, abuse, etc). That attack is really surprising because a lot of dog agression is much more vocal with little physical contact. But to bite a human? That's serious, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Although never attacked, we have come across dogs when walking our boys. The thought occured to me, what if one of those dogs tried to attack me or the dogs. I have no way to defend us (carrying my gun in the neighborhood is out of the question).

My solution, is to always carry a cell phone and I carry a hockey stick. I drilled out the center and added lead weight. Have never used it, hope I never have to, but I will without hesitation if necessary.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts