Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The girls had tape worms. I wormed them, then noticed signs in the cat box too… So I have to pick up wormer for the cats.
Meanwhile, I got a bag of triazicide to broadcast in the back yard to kill the source of tape worms, fleas. We haven’t noticed any, but it is the season. I watched the weather radar and waited until just before the rains came to wash it in.
We also sprayed inside the house with stuff from Petsmart. Bedding couches, etc… I’m glad we don’t have carpet.
Everything was going great… (but why is Bebe eating grass?)
I went around front to get the bag and she had somehow pulled a corner of it through the chain link and tore it open. I’m not sure how much she ate but it was a bunch.
She threw up the grass. We called the vet and poison control. ($60 for over the phone help with a non-human victim.)
The vet didn’t have a clue. Poison control said what she ate isn’t too bad as long as she expels it.
Well, that wasn’t a problem. She really let it blow! I can’t believe the sounds a 25lb.beagle with dry heaves can make. I felt so sorry for her! She’s settling down now, but wants water really bad. I let her lick some ice cubes for now.
They said to watch for twitching or loss of balance etc. If it happens, she has neurological issue, and needs to be treated. Otherwise, she’ll probably have diarrhea for a day.
She seems OK for a dog that just spent two hours turning herself inside out. Karen went to the store, and Bebers greeted her return with tale wagging.

Even if she's fine in the moning, I think I'll ask the vet about blood work, just to be safe.

If anyone knows of anything else we should watch for, please let me know.

Thanks!

…I guess the baths are off for today.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't have any ideas, but that would have freaked me out!
Sure hope Bebe comes through without any damage. I think getting bloodwork done is probably a good idea.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Wow -- poor you and poor Bebe! I had to do the poison control call once for Maggie -- she got into a closet where I had a container of Damp Rid. She drank it all! They told me to rush her to the vet who literally poured charcoal down her. She had black residue on her pretty face for weeks but otherwise did just fine. You said Bebe had dry heaves -- hopefully, she also threw up the nasty stuff. Consider it $60 well spent! Keep us updated.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:You said Bebe had dry heaves -- hopefully, she also threw up the nasty stuff. Consider it $60 well spent! Keep us updated.
Yeah. First the grass, then breakfast, then a scary amount of pesticide granules, then horrible dry heaving for a half an hour. She stopped for a while, only to start up again 15 minutes later. But by then it was only bile.
If any got further down her digestive system, I guess that’s what will cause diarrhea… Nothing yet.
It wasn’t in her very long when her body violently told her, “You really screwed up, girl.” It was NOT necessary to induce anything!

She seems fine. We started giving her small amounts of water every 10 minutes. When she kept that down, we soaked a small amount of kibble in warm water. She wolfed it down, then ran across the yard with Sadie.

We’re going to ration her water for tonight and try a light breakfast, if all goes well.
I’ll be sleeping with one eye open, and on her crate tonight. I bet it’s gonna hurt to breath for a few days, just from the involuntary workout she gave herself.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hope you both get some sleep tonight! Our beagles are remarkably resilient -- I bet Bebe recovers physically sooner than you recover emotionally!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Glad to hear it sounds like she is going to be fine.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I said...
Quote: I’ll be sleeping with one eye open, and on her crate tonight.
Scratch that... Mama says she's sleeping on the bed with us and Sadie. (and a cat or two.)
Works for me. Last night was actually the first time she spent the whole night with us.
One big, happy, every-body-getting-along family

You're such a sweetheart, girl!

Don't scare us like that!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
It is amazing how many ways they find to get into trouble. I am glad she seems to be doing Ok. Hopefully she got it all out before anything was absorbed.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Oh that's scary, hope she stays ok. ((()))

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That would have scared me to death! I'm glad that Bebe is doing well. How is she this morning? All OK? I hope she's feeling better soon!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, everyone!

Bebe
-Slept like a rock. (I know, I was watching.)
-Ate like a horse.
-And fetced a tennis ball a few times. (I don't want to push her too hard yet.)

I always seem to end up with daredevel dogs!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm so glad to hear she seems to be okay - and the scary thing is she would therefore probably do it again in a heartbeat (unless the dry heaves were traumatic enough to have taught her a lesson).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts