Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am caring for a 7 year-old beagle who must be a direct descendant of Houdini himself. He has been here a week (he's with me for two months) and starting to test boundaries as he settles into his new environment.

I'm thanking the stars that he is housetrained and not destructive. But he howls and barks when left alone (it's not separation anxiety) and is constantly escaping when unattended. He has broken out of his "safe room" 4x in the last two days, including learning how to knock down 3 baby gates. This is actually what makes me most nervous as he is bound to get out of a window, into trash, or some other unsafe room. He is not crate trained.

I know all this just spells boredom and craving interaction. But I don't know how much more we can give him. He gets two 45-minute walks, "go find" games and training through the day, and HOURS (5+ hrs per day) of hanging out with us. In between, he has ~2 hours where I need him to chill unsupervised in a gated area without trying to break out of it.

I know he is trying to be a good boy but this is escape #2 just TODAY and I am feeling a little frayed! Any advice or solidarity? Any practical tips on how you keep your beagles entertained alone? Amazingly, he does not care for a kibble/PB Kong if he's alone. He does love raw bones but I can't give them every day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both!!

He does love finding kibble but that takes approximately 5 minutes! I just bought a treat-dispensing toy to give him his meals in. Will see if that helps.

He sticks his nose in the grills and levers it with his upper body long enough that the gate falls down.

How much exercise do your hounds get? His owners said 30 min twice a day and he would sleep the rest of the time... which has NOT been the case, hahaha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone! It's really good to know other people have been in the same place... there are moments when things are amazing, and there are moments when I just don't feel cut out for this dog...!

I only have him for 7 more weeks so it doesn't make sense to enroll in a class, but I think I can manage if I 1) start running with him and 2) do some deliberate mental exercises

Any ideas for mental stimulation? We do "go find" and long down-stays but that's about it. He is only food-motivated. I am waiting for my puzzle toy to come in the mail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.