Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gus is 6 months old.

My wife is finishing up her last year of college. I work full time. When we leave the house and have to leave Gus alone we used to confine him to the bathroom with all his toys. We would have to get EVERYTHING out of his reach because most days we would come home to a disaster in the bathroom. He even tore off pieces of the shower curtian.

He started getting better and we thought maybe he was tearing up things because he didn't have much freedom and was easily bored. We decided, reluctantly, to let him have "free run" of the house for the day. Some days he does fine. We come home and nothing is out of place. About 70% of the time, however, he has decided to completely demolish some things. He doesn't seem to discriminate; it's pretty much anything at random that he can get his paws on.

So my question is: Do any of you let your young Beagle roam the house while you're away? Also, any suggestions on how to end this behavior or just make it easier for us to leave him would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hi,

I leave chloe loose in the apartment (don't have a choice, it's a studio)....
I keep everything important to me up high where she can't reach. I started spraying everything with bitter apple so she won't chew as much, but don't have anything to report yet.... will keep everyone posted about this.
If Gus is not crying or barking while in the bathroom, I would role the curtain up and keep everything out of his reach, leave him with stuffed frozen kong and a couple of toys....

Good luck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I usually lock Suzy up but yesterday when I got home from work she greeted me at the door /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif She didnt destroy anything, the only thing that suffered was the new bag of treats that was torn to shreds.
I would do a test run, leave him alone to see how he reacts.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'd never leave Tramp to roam the house! He's in his crate when we're out without him. I can only imagine what he would do !!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Henry was an adult when I got him so I have no puppy experience.

Maybe I'm wrong but 6 months sounds young to leave a puppy alone yet.

Like Suzy's momma suggested...a few test runs sounds like a good idea. Removing everything that you don't want chewed is a must...since it sounds like he is still chewing. Don't forget the electrical cords!

Don't worry, he will be a big boy soon enough and staying on his own without chewing.

Good luck.

~Denise

·
Registered
39 Posts
Gingergoose is so right. 6mos. old is way too young to trust ANY puppy with free run of a house. It has been suggested by highly experienced trainers and breeders that puppies should not be left to "rule the roost" until at least 2 years of age. This will ensure all the puppy related traits, destructive or otherwise, are completely out of their system. That said, I started allowing Rio to roam free while I was at work from the age of 9 months. I had a few setbacks along the way and had to dial things back with her at times. Some incidents warranted crating others just kitchen detail. I'd say by 10 1/2 mos. She was near perfect or at least trustworthy enough where I didn't have to worry I'd come home to an inner-home tornado. Now at 14 mos. all those fears and worries are a memory.

It's trial and error for each dog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have come home to a few too many tornados in the living room. Starting this week he will be going back to the bathroom.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Bathroom or a large crate. Main thng is the pup is also safe. Have you tried the frozen kong yet? A Kong stuffed with frozen treats. We have never had the problem as wedidnt get a dog until one of us was at homeall the time, but plenty on here have your problem.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have three beagles (ages 5 and two are 3). Only one is given free reign, the 5 yr old. I sometimes allow the younger two out to roam if I am going to be gone for an hour or two, but other than that they have a large crate that they are placed into. This is not only for the safety of my house but also their safety.

K&W flooded the basement bathroom at 9 weeks of age (where we put them so they could have some playtime without having to be crated), ate my glasses at 1 yr, oh and many other things that I am not to eager to repeat.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I left my Shiloh alone in the hose 1 & only 1 time. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif When I returned home I found him sitting in front yard . He had decided he wanted out and the only way to accomplish this was to jump thru window screen . So don't think I will try that again anytime soon ! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif :thumbup:

·
Registered
807 Posts
We've always had more than one beagle so the older one kind of trained the younger. We would start by gating the kitchen area and gradually gave more space as they earned it!! By 2 years old, all was fine. You might want to give it a while longer. Good luck. Julie

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My Beagle/Lab (4 yrs) is fine with free run of the house, but my purebred Beagles are not. Max (5 yrs) still likes to mark territory, even in the house so he is in a crate (90% of the time) while in the house. Maya (10 mos) can be left to roam in the kitchen, but occasionally finds something to chew on that she shouldn't. If we are gone for any length of time she is also in a crate. Tate (6 mos) is in a crate about 75% of the time that he is indoors. I can trust him for short periods of time, but he is still too much puppy for free run of any room. lol

It's funny because I never considered myself a person to use crates, but my dogs do not mind them at all now that we are using them. Tate actually puts himself in his crate 98% of the time. Okay so part of that is because he knows he will get a treat, but he will even do it when we are not around. They love to know they are out of the way at naptime and won't be bothered by anyone or anything while they are in their crates.

·
Registered
112 Posts
At 5 months, Beasley is in her crate 100% of the time when we are not home.

We originally tried to put her in the kitchen with a baby gate, but that didn't last long when she managed to climb onto the countertops.

Crate, toys and a frozen Kong....it's the right combination for us.

I can't way until Beasley is ok to have the house to herself while we are away, but I know those days are still far ahead of us.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
6 months....Oh I wouldn't trust them alone. Look what happened to our leather sofa! 3 holes!!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Marley is crated when he cannot be supervised. This is helping tremendously with his housetraining. We did the same thing with our Charlie, until he was an adult and could be trusted. It's for their own good, and yours. Puppies can find things you didn't know were lost, and worst yet, can really hurt themselves.

·
Registered
983 Posts
When we go out the beagles are in the kitchen. I have a baby gate at either end. I leave their kennels and toys for them. Hunter was fine when she had run of the house, but Casey can't be trusted at all. No destruction in the kitchen, and the cats get some peace.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We crate all 3 when we are not at home...(lesson learned the hard way) At night all 3 sleep in our bedroom, Chief in his dog bed and the little guys at the foot of our bed. We put a wooden gate on our deck which is quite large and they spend alot of time out there during the day during the nice months. It's like a big playpen for them, and they think it's an extension of the house so no accidents there. We don't leave them out there tho when we aren't home as they bay at every leaf that blows by!

·
Registered
147 Posts
homer is always crated when we are not home.he seems to love his cage.will take some toys in there and curl up for a nap during the day.and always runs in there when something scares him(like the vacuum)-it's his safe spot

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
It has been my experience raising 2 Beags from pups, that under 12 months, a Beagle should be crated when alone.

Beagles are curious and very independant thinkers as a part of their hunting heritage. The consequences of this can be devastating to the inside of our homes. I have many episodes I can relate to the effect. It is my belief, that pups are like "kids in a candy store", got to have it all now. As Beags mature, their attitude seems to be one of "been there done that".

Both Beagles, now, are left free to roam the house. There is no destruction of property only evidence of heavy sleeping. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts