Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Since I have had Coco, he's had a condition that I can't quite figure out. From time to time he will have what seems to be an asthma attack He begans hyperventilating out of no where (more common when he gets excited I noticed) and can't breathe. It sounds like phlegm that's builded up and preventing breathing (if that makes sense). I often press lightly down on his rib cage since that seems to help stop his attack. It usually lasts from a a few seconds to about a minute.

The vet can't figure out what it is. I have tried running for the camera to record him to show the vet when he has an attack but I can't manage doing that and helping him at the sametime. Has anyone else seen/heard of such thing? I was told that it could be asthma, however I have researched the symptoms and don't seem to match. I hate seeing go though this and I don't know how to help him. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Could it be reverse sneezing. It is very common with beagles. It's not harmful but it can sure scare you when it happens at 2 in the morning.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Our JoJo does this!! We call it her piggy-noise. It was the scariest thing ever when she kept doing it one night...now she just does it when she's running crazy on walks and pulls on her leash too tight.
What I do is put my hand gently over her nose to force her to breathe through her mouth. After she stops, I rub her throat and talk to her to help calm her down.

She never seems hurt by it, but it can be scary - and scare others (like it did this morning on a run when a passerby asked if she was okay).

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!!! Now I can stop worrying so much about and hopefully use the tips you all have given me next time he gets an attack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts