Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,all! We have these all over my neighborhood ...

News Alert from ASPCA -- http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=media_newsalert080108#1

Quote:August 1, 2008

Popular Sago Palm Plant Is Toxic to Pets

Daydreaming of a sandy beach and a breeze shimmying through the palm trees? Paradise, right? Not so fast, says Fido. Though palm trees evoke relaxation of the highest order, Sago palm (Cycas revolute)—a stocky member of the Cycad family of plants—is downright dangerous to our furry companions.

According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) in Urbana, IL, pet poisonings from the increasingly popular plant are on the rise. Since 2003, the Center has seen an increase in cases of Sago palm and Cycad poisonings by more than 200 percent. APCC data also reveals that 50 percent to 75 percent of those cases resulted in fatalities.

A native of Southern Japan, Sago palm has been a common addition to outdoor landscaping in sunny climes, but in recent years, has also emerged as a trendy houseplant in northern states. Though attractive with its dark green leaves and hairy trunk, the plant is highly toxic to cats and dogs. Common signs of Sago palm poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, depression, seizures and liver failure.

“Many pet parents may not be familiar with the toxic effects of Cycad palms, and assume the only poisonous portions are the seeds or nuts,” says Dr. Sharon Gwaltney-Brant, veterinary toxicologist and APCC Vice President. “But all parts of the plant are toxic if ingested.”

As always, pet parents should guard against any mishaps and prevent their furry beloveds from coming into contact with Sago palm plants by placing them out of reach. Or consider a nontoxic alternative to brighten your home and keep the dog days of summer cool and carefree.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.