Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there are sparks flying out of my eyes. hot lava is flowing from my ears and my nose. actual fire is shooting out of my mouth, because i am so angry.
last saturday the wife and i spent good money on a nice bed for the dogs. today while i was at the gym, they completely destroyed it. when i put them in the crate, i even gave them rawhide bones to chew on. i was gone exactly 2 hours. i swear those dogs will never get another one. they'll be old and grey before i buy them another thing.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I am sorry. I know the feeling...it's happened to me too. Those darn dogs!!

Gotta love them though!

·
Registered
276 Posts
sorry to hear about the destruction...we usually buy the cheaper things just in case, and I like deals

·
Registered
847 Posts
I just threw Bodie's $60 bed out last night. He destroyed the zipper a few weeks ago. So I used plastic zip ties on it to seal it back up. Then last week he puked on it in the middle of the night. Even after hosing it off I couldn't get the smell off. So it was relegated to the dog run. And he was on it every day... until yesterday when we worked through it enough to start pulling out the stuffing. Which was blowing all around the backyard.

He has another bed, not as nice, in the bedroom. But even that one has already gone through one surgery but won't make it through another. After this one that's it until he's a lot older.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I can understand your frustration. Here's where you went wrong:
NEVER choose the bed for the beagle. Take him to the store then let him pick it out. He must think it was his idea.

It worked for us. It's the only thing he hasn't chewed, gnawed, mutilated, humped or peed on.

In the mean time, there's Haagen Daaz.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I too know the feeling. Lost count of how many beds Bazel has destroyed GRRR. His bed now is a free one courtesy of my husbands work , amazing what people will throw in the bin.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie destroyed multiple beds before I discovered www.kuranda.com. This works great for us. In the winter we buy inexpensive fleece throws and she wraps up in those on top of the bed. In summer she just sleeps on the bed. I have seen copies of this bed sold at dog shows for a lot less money. Someone who is good at things like this could make their own. Our local shelter uses these and is in the process of trying to get enough for all their dogs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry, I know how you feel. Ruby ripped through her first bed in the first week. The new one has lasted, but takes it's tole as she paws at it constantly until it's just right to sleep on.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
those kuranda beds seem like just the ticket. but they are going to have to wait.... for quite a while.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Okay...here's my two cents worth.

We have a bed very similar to the Kuranda bed. I purchased it (brand new-still in box) from someone online that had stored it in their garage for awhile and never used it. I paid $15. Our dogs absolutely love it, but I consider that their outdoor bed. It doesn't hold moisture as it is a mesh like material. It allows air to flow under them which keeps them cooler and cleaner in the summer (it beats their digging trenches to cool down). All 4 sides have the metal bar in them to keep the sides less desirable to try to chew on. I say you can't go wrong.

They do sell them many places for lots less money. Or if you feel industrious, buy some PVC pipe or steel conduit from Home Depot or Lowes, make the frame, then go to a tarp and awning company and purchase the material (it is the same stuff they use to cover loads on dump trucks). If you measure the exact size you will need most of the tarp companies can even sew them for you to slide the pvc pipes through and voila...you have your own bed.

Now for the indoor cushy beds...I gave up. I have spent so much money on beds and so much of my time cleaning up fluff that I, like you, swear I will never buy another one. Guess what? I was about to throw away some human bed pillows a couple of months ago but decided that for a few days (as long as I thought they would last) I would give the dogs something soft to lay on. Then after they destroyed them I would throw them away as originally planned. Two or three months later the pillows remain in tact without ONE bite mark on them. They LOVE their pillows. Probably because they smell (at least originally) like their humans. You might want to try it. I like to buy us new pillows about once a year or so. I don't know about other people, but you were done with them for yourself, you were going to throw them out anyway, so who cares if the dogs destroy them. Oh and they fit in kennels fairly well I might add.

Don't get too mad at the little ones. They will eventually grow out of the chewing!

·
Registered
511 Posts
At least it's only a dog bed.

When we first brought him home Murphy managed to rip up the carpet in the family room when we weren't watching for a few minutes. No, he couldn't do it in a spot that was hidden. Right smack dab in the middle. Managed to get a piece and unraveled what looked like half a mile of carpet.

Sigh.

We were getting ready to replace the carpet this year anyway. Now there's stone tile on the floor. Let's see the little bugger rip THAT up!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry to hear about the destruction. Well, I don't have the problem because Snoopy won't use the bed I bought her. She uses the couch, the chair, our bed, the ottoman...anything that is NOT meant for dogs.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Before I brought Jake home, my Basset-X Gabby would literally chew up and de-stuff anything and everything she could. She chewed up a TV remote, a coffee table, a recliner, and FIVE dog beds! I resorted to buying cheap 3-dollar pillows from Wal-Mart. Still can't figure it out, but once Jake was here, her chewing completely stopped.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Oh please, we have wasted soooo much money on dog beds. Last month I purchased 3 Boots and Barkely beds from Target. They were on clearance and I only paid $7 each for the large ones. So far, a month later, so good! They are nothing fancy and look like big canvas pillows!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Never is a long time. It's hard to understand why they do those things...but you know they are dogs, and were acting like dogs.
One of our beagles, who is now over the bridge, took 10 minutes to totally demolish a recliner seat. My dh swore that he would never let that dog alone in the house....that lasted about a week.....well. You have to do what you have to do to domesticate the wolf in them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hmmm...maybe I won't be getting our pup a bed until I know if he's a chewer or not!

(this was a very enlightening post!)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.