Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to go away for a weekend and I guess my boyfriend was really bored because he taught Arty a new trick!! It's pretty cool because I had been trying (half-heartedly, albeit) to teach Arty how to roll over for a month or two with no luck and it took my bf one weekend of boredom to get Arty to do his trick

Anyway, I thought I'd share the video

Arty can roll over! (click here)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Wow, he is good at tricks. I should work with my dogs more. The only tricks they know are the basics, sit, down, and how to do all the things they are not supposed to do when we aren't looking. lol

·
Registered
889 Posts
Too cute! How did he teach him? We've tried to teach ours and they just look at us like we're crazy. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Good job Arty. My friend has taught her dogs to roll over three times in a row so I decided to try it with Maggie. She will do two but hasn't managed three yet.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Very good Arty! Jersey learned to Stop, drop and roll (or sit, down and roll) for her puppy obedience class, all with hand signals. It was so much fun to teach her. She'll only roll to my right though, she won't roll to the left...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Good job! Arty looks pretty proud of himself and the new trick he taught his humans -- how to give him treats in a yet another way

·
Registered
295 Posts
I taught Daisy how to roll over by getting her to first lay down. She got a treat for that. Then with her still in the down position, I said roll over, with a circling hand signal, and then I physically rolled her over. She got a good girl! and another treat. I kept repeating this, first getting her in the down, then saying roll over with the signal, rolling her over myself, doing the good girl! and giving a treat. After a little bit, she would get in the down position herself, so all I had to do was say roll over with the signal. (still rolling her myself though.)

Soon she would lay on her side for the treat, but was not doing the roll, so I kept helping her, doing the good girl! and a treat each time. Then one time she simply did it on her own! She got a VERY excited good girl!!!! and many treats

I did this over the course of a few days, in 5 minute sessions. I don't think dogs can handle much more than that when learning a trick. Soon they just want the darned treat and aren't focusing on the trick.

What's funny is that sometimes I will have something in my hand that she <span style="font-weight: bold">thinks</span> is a treat for her that she is not getting. She sits nicely at first, but when she still doesn't get it, she will fling her paw in the air to shake and then roll over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts