Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Oliver
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog Ollie (10) was diagnosed with arthritis last summer. For now it only seems to affect his legs, his spine is fine. He was put on Carprodyl (I'm in NL, don't know if it has different names elsewhere) and has been on that since. We also got him to loose a bit of weight and he gets Glucosamine.
Since then he was doing tons better, moving around again without issues.

This morning however, after he came down the stairs he started yelping and keeping weight off one front paw. He kept yelping occasionally when he made a wrong move.
I took him to the vet asap and, after a thorough look over, she concluded that he has an inflamed tendon in his elbow and some swelling in both his elbow and wrist on that side. Most likely as a result of his arthritis.
She suggested we up his Carprodyl dose, and give home tramadol as needed.

I took him home, gave him a dose of tramadol.
Now it's 2 hours later and he still doesn't seem to be able to lay down comfortably.

I really want to do more for him, but seeing the apologetic look the vet gave me when telling me what was wrong with him, I doubt they can do much else for him right now.

Normally I would give him cuddles and attention, but today he wants none of that.
It pains me to see him like this.

Has anyone here had any similar experiences with their beagles?

Any tips on how to handle the next few days?

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Sorry your dog is having issues.. Ive taken Tramadol for a fractured shoulder and it made me feel AWFUL so reconsider giving it to your dog.. ask about a round of Prednisone which would help inflammation.
Also can you prevent the dog from using stairs which may irritate his problems.

·
Registered
Oliver
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Luckily he doesn't seem to have any side effects. I am usually wary of pain meds, especially opioids, but when he's yelping and screaming (and almost biting us in his panic) at every wrong step he takes, I really want to get that pain under control.
I was advised to give it only if needed though.

He's actually just off Prednisone, had his last dose yesterday, he had that for a week for laryngitis.

And I'm definitely keeping him downstairs, much to his dismay, because he loves sleeping in my bedroom.

·
Super Moderator
5,231 Posts

·
Registered
Oliver
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So we went back to the vet this morning, cause his pain seemed even worse. He also started to have trouble moving his hind legs.
Vet found a very sore spot on his spine, so it's very likely he has a hernia.
The vet adviced me to continue with the pain management, he gave him an injection for the probable swelling, and told me to see how it goes the next few days and to start thinking about Ollie's quality of life, since this is not his only ailment (he has cataracts and dementia).

So now we have to wait and see whether things are going to improve, or worsen.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Do you have any animal chiropractors in your area? Not sure if they can help with hernias, but it might be worth calling one to ask.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would rehabilitation work for arthritis? For sure f you will enroll her in a class then they would also provide you with meds that would help while she's in rehab.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts