Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pooh Bear - 37 pounds He just ate an entire stick of butter. Regular old butter. He stole it off the kitchen counter. I;m worried, called emergency they said he will probably have loose stools but should be ok help

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm sure he'll be just fine. My Chloe who is less than half his size once ate a whole cube of butter with NO ill effects at all. Little stinker stole it off the table.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all!! Isn't it great to be able to ask questions here on this forum.

The reason I got a bit freaked out. the first time I called emergency vet I got a guy who answers the phone there. He said to give Hydrogen perixide and have him throw up and then bring him in to the ER vet to be evaluated. I thought that seemed a bit extreme. I called our dog sitter and she called them and she got the vet tech on the phone who then went and asked a doctor there. The doc said he could have loose stools, but should be ok.

He was real quiet in the kitchen. I went to see what he was doing in there, and found just a wrapper from a stick of butter laying on the floor. He is usually such a sloe eater and to eat an entire stick of cold butter that fast shocked me!!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hope Pooh Bear is okay. Moosie has eaten an entire stick of butter before - but he had no ill effects whatsoever. And he would do it again in a heartbeat, I'm sure!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I apologize for the fact that I'm laughing my butt off right now.

I'm glad he'll be OK. It's just typical beagle, isn't it???

·
Registered
16 Posts
our lab stole a stick of butter off the table last christmas. he was fine...course he's 105 lbs...the beag eats anything she can get her hairy lil paws on, so i know the panic!! having dogs all my life, i know the worry. i would just watch pooh bear for a day or two to make sure everything's a ok. silly dogs, huh?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
When i think what ours eat in the woods I should think butter will be easy. The expression 'butter wouldnt melt in their mouths' is proven wrong here!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He is fine so far this morning. He hasn't gone poo yet.

We can laugh about it now. Yes, it is funny that he would eat all that butter and be so quiet about it.

I wouldn't have panicked except that that guy at emergency vet suggested giving the Hydrogen Peroxide to make him throw it up and then bring him in. Luckily I called my dog sitter and asked you all also.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm sure Pooh Bear will be fine. Amber was always eating things she shouldn't have and never had any problems. I think she had a cast iron stomach though. It sounds to me like the Emergency Vet was having a slow night and wanted some business.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Haha I'm sure he'll be fine. We were visitng my parents one time and all of the sudden I realized how quiet it was and Daisy was no where in sight... I found her hiding in the corner of the living room going to town on a stick of margarine. I guess it had fallen out of the bag when we were unloading groceries. LOL I don't remember her having any issues whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Originally Posted By: jen-n-jerseyI'm sure Pooh Bear will be fine. Amber was always eating things she shouldn't have and never had any problems. I think she had a cast iron stomach though. It sounds to me like the Emergency Vet was having a slow night and wanted some business.
mine too, i think beagles for the most part have a strong stomach, which is perfecting being as they'll eat ANYTHING

I'm sure pooh bear will be fine, and yes keep some hydrogen peroxide nearby it can come in handy if he eat any other foods he's not supposed to get into

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He has had one poop today and it was normal. I'll keep watching him. But he is just fine today. He loves butter for some reason. This isn't the first time he had stolen butter. He will get butter down from the kitchen counter if you leave it close to the edge. This was just the first time he ate a whole stick. Silly boy!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used to work at an emerg vet hospital, we had to tell everyone that called to come in because of liability (apparently someone could say I called and you said it would be fine and my pet died and sue a hospital). The honest criteria is: if a dog is eating, drinking and able to urinate and move their bowels and isn't presenting any other major concerning behaviours, they should just be monitored at home.
Hope your fella feels better!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts