Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so cranky this is the second night me and the hubby got no sleep. Chase sleeps off and on all night and constantly whines to make sure we're close by. He sleeps on the side of our bed in his little bed but that's not good enough he wants to be CLOSER.

Okay thats no problem fine he's close to 8 wks he just need to get used to sleeping alone.

Now we take him out so much just so there won't be any accidents in the house, however it worked so good yesterday we were shocked especially hearing all the bad potty stories from other beagle owners. But now he's starting to do it more in the house. He started off so well only to get worst?!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Then he hides his poop?! He goes behind the shelves, tv stands or computer desk to take his poop not to mention it's really runny!

My hubby tells me I'm going about the situation wrong by letting him smell it and say "no poop" or "bad potty" :nono5: But what else can I possibly do. I let him know thats a bad potty and when he does it right he's rewarded a treat and also told "good potty". I constantly say "good potty" when were outside so that he can catch on... Any other solutions?

Also is there a possibility that the dog food I'm feeding him is making him poop too much. He goes at least 10 times a day and that's no exaggeration.

Oh and I feed him 3 times a day only because he acts as if he's straving when we did it twice a day. And meal time is always horrible. He whines and cries until he's given his food and he runs around doing this as if he's throwing some tantrum. HELP MY PUP IS DRIVING ME CRAZY lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
For potty training we took Scout out every 30-45 minutes even if it looked like she didn't have to go. We took her to the same door every time. Even when we thought she was learning to go to the door, we still kept taking her out frequently. We found that just because they do good one day doesn't mean they have learned anything. It took her about a month to learn to go to the door when she had to go out. It will come, you just have to be consistent. Don't give him a chance to go inside.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea we've been going out every 15-20 minutes with Chase. He usually goes to the same spot to potty, however we can stay outside for 45 minutes and he won't do anything but as soon as he comes inside of the house... He goes!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hmm, well I would take him right back out when he goes. He is still young (I'm sorry I hate that answer) so he can't control his bladder. We had times when Scout would go right before she walked out the door. We still took her out anyway. It will just click one day, don't give up!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We won't give up on Chase.

The thing is it's cold here and Chase hates the cold weather. He almost refuses to pee outside if it's too cold for him. I'll walk him and hope that he uses it but he would sometimes wait until we get inside to do his business. You're right he's young and I think he's doing a good job to say it hasn't been a week yet since we've had him so we're going to keep at it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
try taking him out, and if he don't potty put him in the crate for 10 mins, then take him right outside. is he goes let him stay out of the crate.

it might work.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I highly recommend crate training! it really helps in the house training process.

He will whine for alittle while, but don't give in to him unless you know he needs to potty. 2 to 3 hrs max at a time in the crate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks we'll see if this works. He whines a lot already and he's not put away anywhere. He'll whine if we're sitting on the sofa and he's not on it. He whine's when we're in bed and he's not in it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a six week old puppy and he is doing the same things with potty training. when i see he is trying to go behind something to hide his poop I immediately grab him and take him outside.. I am also trying something new. the breeder i bought him from used the puppy pads when she had him so he is used to those. I put on next to the door. when i see him going to that pad i grab him and take him out side. when out side i go to the same place every time and when i set him down i tell him "go potty" it seems to work. He is still having a few accidents but they are getting less and less everyday.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hi, 8 weeks is very very very young!!!
Don't be discouraged. It takes time, but you eventually get there. Rule of thumb is that their bladder can hold it for how many months they are + 1. So He won't be able to hold it for more than 3 months (maybe not even that for the next 2-3 weeks).
As been suggested, crate training is the answer. Get a crate big enough for him to stand in, but not too big so that he can go potty and than lay down on the other side. Since they usually don't like "living" where their potty is, he will learn to hold it.
Puppies need to go all the time: before and after sleeping, after eating, drinking, playing.... all the time.
You can read all about crate training here: http://www.abeagleworld.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000017;p=1.

Very important to praise him a lot when he goes potty outside, but letting him sniff it and say bad potty will not do any good, since he will learn to associate going potty as being a bad thing, and won't do it in front of you (which will cause problems even when you take him outside...). So, praise when good, ignore when bad.

Good-Luck!

PS - you should feed him super premium food (recommended) and you can tell that it's a good food if among the 5 first ingredients there are at least 3 defined chicken/tourkey/beef.... meals (not good enough if it says poultry meal!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:Originally posted by dieselbabe101:
I have a six week old puppy and he is doing the same things with potty training. when i see he is trying to go behind something to hide his poop I immediately grab him and take him outside.. I am also trying something new. the breeder i bought him from used the puppy pads when she had him so he is used to those. I put on next to the door. when i see him going to that pad i grab him and take him out side. when out side i go to the same place every time and when i set him down i tell him "go potty" it seems to work. He is still having a few accidents but they are getting less and less everyday.
That seems far. I heard about the puppy pads too.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Quote:Originally posted by Chloe's Mommy:
Hi, 8 weeks is very very very young!!!
Don't be discouraged. It takes time, but you eventually get there. Rule of thumb is that their bladder can hold it for how many months they are + 1. So He won't be able to hold it for more than 3 months (maybe not even that for the next 2-3 weeks).
As been suggested, crate training is the answer. Get a crate big enough for him to stand in, but not too big so that he can go potty and than lay down on the other side. Since they usually don't like "living" where their potty is, he will learn to hold it.
Puppies need to go all the time: before and after sleeping, after eating, drinking, playing.... all the time.
You can read all about crate training here: http://www.abeagleworld.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000017;p=1.

Very important to praise him a lot when he goes potty outside, but letting him sniff it and say bad potty will not do any good, since he will learn to associate going potty as being a bad thing, and won't do it in front of you (which will cause problems even when you take him outside...). So, praise when good, ignore when bad.

Good-Luck!

PS - you should feed him super premium food (recommended) and you can tell that it's a good food if among the 5 first ingredients there are at least 3 defined chicken/tourkey/beef.... meals (not good enough if it says poultry meal!)
He gets a lot of praise for going potty outside but I will start ignoring his "bad potty" And thanks for the advice /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I'll be on the look out for that food.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Chloe's Mommy:
I'll be on the look out for that food.
Just to make sure - Recommended is not the name of the food, there are different brands. It's just recommended that this will be the ingredient order...and type.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We had a crate accident last night. It was my fault though. I had brought Scout in from her long long walk and she drank tons of water. Very soon after we had to go run some errands. I didn't even think about the amount of water she drank. When we came back 2 hours later she had peed in her crate on her pillow. Usually she can hold it, but I think it was the amount of water. Just like if I drank 64 ounces quickly, I wouldn't be able to hold it as long as if I had drank 16 ounces of water.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Last night was by far the most peaceful Chase has ever been. He's getting better at sleeping the whole night through now so YES lol

As for the potty accidents I don't know why he pee so much. I give him water and take him out a lot and he still manages to pee every 2 minutes LITERALLY (yesterday) this morning is going smoothly, however I still have the whole day to go. Wish us luck!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Chase's Mommy:
Last night was by far the most peaceful Chase has ever been. He's getting better at sleeping the whole night through now so YES lol

As for the potty accidents I don't know why he pee so much. I give him water and take him out a lot and he still manages to pee every 2 minutes LITERALLY (yesterday) this morning is going smoothly, however I still have the whole day to go. Wish us luck!
Good to hear he is doing better! To jump back a bit, the reason the 'smell it' trick doesn't work is that as soon as they are done going, they disassociate the action with the result. Remember, dogs this young have a short attention span and an even shorter capacity for cognition (connecting the past with the present). The only way to get them to learn is to catch them in the act, and immediately correct them. You've probably heard this already but it's important to remember when the little one is trying your patience, he is doing all he can to be a good boy!

Food helps a lot with potty quantity and quality (excuse the imagery here). A good high protein food will allow him to eat less and in turn potty less. Something we recently started our little one on is canned pumpkin, we mix a spoonful in with his food and it not only slows him down and keeps him from scattering kibble everywhere, but it's high in fiber so it helps with his potty patterns. We have him down to a pretty good routine so we can preemptively take him out to go.

The cold weather is something we have a problem with, too. We actually have a variety of outerwear for our dogs (don't laugh) ranging from t-shirts to sweaters and rain coats. A little protection from the weather goes a long way to making them comfortable outside, and the more comfortable they are the more likely they are to potty where they are supposed to.

Good luck and just remember that it will keep getting better as long as you are persistent!

·
Registered
114 Posts
We are still having problems with Scout sleeping through the night. It has to do with where she is in the house. She is not in our room and she wakes up in the middle of the night and cries because we aren't there. We had her in the bathroom one night and it was fine. Then out in the living room the next and she cried. I hope she can get over it because it just doesn't work for us in the morning to have her in the bathroom or bedroom. There was a week about a month ago where she slept through the night out in the living room. I think she wakes up, sees we aren't there, cries, and then has to pee. So I have to get up, I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Chase's Mommy:

Sometimes potty accidents are our own making . Most times when we clean up a spot we neglect to spray that spot with some type of order remover
to mask the odor. When we don't the confuses the puppy into thinking "potty here is acceptable". If you ever notice when the puppy is outside to potty he will usually sniff around to find a place he has used before . Same thing for inside . Find the odor---ok to potty here. A lot of the time you think a dog is constantly peeing he is actly just marking his territory to let other dogs know,"I live here & you stay away".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:Originally posted by jeffmeden:
Good to hear he is doing better! To jump back a bit, the reason the 'smell it' trick doesn't work is that as soon as they are done going, they disassociate the action with the result. Remember, dogs this young have a short attention span and an even shorter capacity for cognition (connecting the past with the present). The only way to get them to learn is to catch them in the act, and immediately correct them. You've probably heard this already but it's important to remember when the little one is trying your patience, he is doing all he can to be a good boy!

Food helps a lot with potty quantity and quality (excuse the imagery here). A good high protein food will allow him to eat less and in turn potty less. Something we recently started our little one on is canned pumpkin, we mix a spoonful in with his food and it not only slows him down and keeps him from scattering kibble everywhere, but it's high in fiber so it helps with his potty patterns. We have him down to a pretty good routine so we can preemptively take him out to go.

The cold weather is something we have a problem with, too. We actually have a variety of outerwear for our dogs (don't laugh) ranging from t-shirts to sweaters and rain coats. A little protection from the weather goes a long way to making them comfortable outside, and the more comfortable they are the more likely they are to potty where they are supposed to.

Good luck and just remember that it will keep getting better as long as you are persistent!
Right, right. you're right I don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess it's because I have trained so many of my other pups and they all seem to have been a lot differ from Chase. I do believe he's trying to be a good boy and not try my patience, it's just going to take some time. Canned pumpkin? I would have never thought. It just seems like that would give them the runs. I'll have to try that though. Thanks.

OH and I will not laugh, because my other dog wears his clothing proudly lol and soon Chase will be also.

Quote:Originally posted by Drew:
We are still having problems with Scout sleeping through the night. It has to do with where she is in the house. She is not in our room and she wakes up in the middle of the night and cries because we aren't there. We had her in the bathroom one night and it was fine. Then out in the living room the next and she cried. I hope she can get over it because it just doesn't work for us in the morning to have her in the bathroom or bedroom. There was a week about a month ago where she slept through the night out in the living room. I think she wakes up, sees we aren't there, cries, and then has to pee. So I have to get up, I don't know what to do.
Exactly. I have Chase's bed right next to our bed so when he gets that urge to cry at night he looks up and see we're close by. He also like to sleep with my slipper lol maybe the scent of me ease him a bit also?!

Quote:Originally posted by littledude:
Sometimes potty accidents are our own making . Most times when we clean up a spot we neglect to spray that spot with some type of order remover
to mask the odor. When we don't the confuses the puppy into thinking "potty here is acceptable". If you ever notice when the puppy is outside to potty he will usually sniff around to find a place he has used before . Same thing for inside . Find the odor---ok to potty here. A lot of the time you think a dog is constantly peeing he is actly just marking his territory to let other dogs know,"I live here & you stay away".
Correct. I am always spraying the spots he go to make sure I mask the odor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts