Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I remember those puppy days. Not so long ago for us. Its like having someone else tell you how to raise your kids. We all have different styles of "parenting". I don't know what will work for you but I can tell you what worked for us. We got Maggie when she was 8 weeks old and she turned my quiet house upside down. She was intended as a pet for my daughter and I had insisted that my daughter take most of the responsibility, however when I realized how much she was yelling, I stepped in and took over most of the training. Maggie didn't respond to yelling and didn't even appear to notice. I think it must be like with babies and kids that there are developmental stages where their brains aren't able to understand certain cues. My daughter and I went to puppy classes and learned that treats and lots of praise were the easiest ways to get a response from Maggie. Through treats, praise and I think just more maturity, Maggie has learned to respond to command words. There are times when I have to use a very firm voice and I do occasionally yell. When I do yell I find that it is because I am frustrated. Maggie responds better to my firm voice than to yelling. She isn't afraid of me and I don't want her to be but I do think she has some "respect" for me. If you can go to a training class. I learned so much and mostly it was a great support resource. I could see that everyone was having the same problems and that my little beagle wasn't the only naughty dog. The first nine months were constant hard work with training but the investment of time has paid off. Maggie just graduated from advanced obedience. Is she a perfect, well behaved dog? No, absolutely not but she responds to the commands she has learned about 90% of the time. She is still an independent thinker and sometimes I can see her weighing her options before responding but that is what I love about beagles. Good luck with your puppy and with your husband's grandma. I am sure she is just trying to help but no one wants to be told how to raise their baby.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.