Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Well, I can see where both of you are coming from. You do need to use a firm "commanding" voice that is different from a softer, sweeter "playtime" voice. The loud voices don't seem to be scaring Homer, but puppies are so impressionable, and you don't know what affect the shouting is having on him. We once adopted a puppy from a shelter in Michigan who had been abused. I don't know what all they did to her, except that their kids stuck chewing gum all in her hair. But Sassy was so timid, and was especially scared if anyone raised their voice at her. I'm not saying at all that you're mistreating Homer, please understand. I know how much you love him!! It's just that you never know what's going on in their little beagley brains.
My Shiloh barks a lot.When she wakes me up at 4 a.m. barking at who knows what, I used to yell down the stairs at her to be quiet. Then my son told me that her barking didn't disturb him as much as my yelling. And I read somewhere that when dogs are barking and you yell, to them it sounds like you are joining in the barking with them. So now if she's barking during the day I go to the window and look out and say firmly "There's nothing there. Stop it." Of course I don't want to do that at 4 a.m., so I just try to ignore it and hope she's not barking at something really important! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
When your grandmother sees The Dog Whisperer on TV, she's probably as amazed as I am at how the guy never raises his voice, just makes a little sound that sounds like "psst!" and the dog instantly obeys. It's like he's a magician!! It seems like anybody should be able to do that too. But I think they probably edit out a lot of stuff on his shows--I don't think he gets instant obedience every time.
Please don't take any of this the wrong way! I know you love Homer and you're doing what seems best for your little guy. But I know how it feels to listen to someone shouting at their dog, and I think your grandmother is only trying to help. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.