Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was surfing Wikipedia and found these in the descriptions, which I think, could all be given to beagles.

Beagles…

Quote:Beagles are intelligent, but as a result of being bred for the long chase are single-minded and determined, which can make them hard to train.
Bassets…

Quote: Training is a touchy topic when dealing with the Basset Hound breed. Trainers must be persistent with this breed in order to achieve a well mannered dog, as Bassets have a tendency to listen to their noses instead of verbal commands. While this can lead to stubbornness, it also means that they are highly food-motivated (particularly fragrant foods) and tend to respond well to treat-based positive reinforcement methods. Owners need to make the training process lively and entertaining to allow the Basset to learn more efficiently.
And this about Treeing Walkers…

Quote:Training must be consistent as Walker hounds are extremely intelligent and will take full advantage of loopholes in the training regimen.
I like that one. It’s a good counter to anyone saying they’re hard to train because they’re stupid.

Who has, or has experience with other breeds of tricolor scent hounds?
What breed, and what makes them <span style="font-weight: bold"> different</span> in temperament, etc. from your beagle(s)?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I've always said similar things to what the quote says about Treeing Walkers - beagles are not difficult to get to obey us because they don't understand what we want, but because they completely understand what we want but are weighing the benefits to themselves of doing what we want them to do against the benefits to themselves of doing what THEY want to do... It is a complex calculation (which usually comes out in favour of doing whatever is going to get them the most food). I really do think I can see the wheels turning in Booker's head sometimes when she is trying to make that decision!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts