Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm not if this is normal or not...

1.) she cries A LOT! we try to play with her all the time but the second we stop she cries... should we let her so she can learn to entertain herself with chew toys for awhile at a time? also... on short walks she starts to cry cuz she wants to be pickd up and if i bring her into a room with me and shut the door she cries to get out... doesn't seem to like small spaces or the dark! haha. normal???? and how do i discourage the constant whining???

2.) i realize that yesterday was probably the first time she has had a collar on... but she scratches sooo much and right now her nails are like razor blades....so i kinda worry about her scratching herself too hard! heh
- chews her paws a bit..scratches her neck and back.. a lot.
normal???

thanks so much
this forum has been amazingly helpful - its great having some people with beagle experience! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I'm not sure about the crying. Daisy never really did that too much.

Daisy scratched at her collar like crazy. She hated it, but after about a week she got used to it. Now she doesn't even notice it's there.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I wouldn't play with her too much. She should be getting used to being on her own a little, or she will develop SA. The whining will stop eventually, may take a few days. Don't worry about it too much. She misses her previous pack.
About the scratching: have you already been to a vet with her?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Unless you plan to play with her 24/7, she needs to be able to feel comfortable by herself. This could lead to a bad case of separation anexiety.

Give enough chew toys and other play things and she will have just as much "fun" as if you were there. Beagles are smart they will figure it out.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great thanks - makes sense! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

she had he initial visit to the vet a couple weeks ago when she was with the breeder and got her first round of vaccinations and apparently was in prestine health...
i go tomorrow for a quick little check up (and nail clipping hopefully!!!) and she has her second round of shots due on May 22nd.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I haven't had a puppy in many, many years so will have to leave the advice to others but I do have a question for you. Maybe I'm missing it in your posts ... what is her name? (and if you tell me it's "Woojiebear", I'm going to be very embarrassed ...)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: judymaggieI haven't had a puppy in many, many years so will have to leave the advice to others but I do have a question for you. Maybe I'm missing it in your posts ... what is her name? (and if you tell me it's "Woojiebear", I'm going to be very embarrassed ...)
Judy you are funny. I was looking for the name too, I think it's Snoopy. Am I correct?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I found that just like babies like to have us come running when they are to go to sleep, our little furbabies can cry up a storm, when they can't see us. Give her a chew toy, and let her learn to amuse herself for short periods of time, then lengthen them....you don't want to be tied to home and pooch.

As far as the scratching, maybe it's time to trim those nails. I can't do it myself, my little boys were just too good at biting my fingers, so I let the groomer do it --- and it's not to expensive considering the price of a good pair of clipper and a finger or two. And the collar, well, it's like putting on a new pair of shoes or clothing that is restrictive, we don't like it much either, but as was said, after a week, she'll get used to it, and if she KNOWS that a walk comes with the collar every now and then, all the better.

Good luck!

cathy J

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hahahahhaaha
aw sorry

yes Snoopy is her name-o
although i tend to call her too many things
like snoops, snoopers and lil miss so far

she IS coming to Snoopy though /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you for the advice !! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
she is doing so well for the most part and i'm a proud mommy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

do vets clips nails as well?
i'm taking her in tomorrow and would love to have them done then..they're sooooo long

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Woojiebear do vets clips nails as well?
i'm taking her in tomorrow and would love to have them done then..they're sooooo long
Yes, you can get <span style="color: #FF0000">Snoopy</span>'s ( /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ) nails clipped at the vet for a price, of course -- it differs from practice to practice as to whether or not the vet automatically turns that task over to a vet tech. At my vet's office it just depends what else is going on -- either way, it costs $15.00. I always ask them to file the rough edges afterwards. This definitely cuts down on the scratches.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Our vet includes a trim in with the cost of an office visit. Otherwise they charge around $15. There is one groomer that will do it for $5 so that's where we go sometimes. Most times though I just do it myself. Jersey's usually pretty good about letting me do them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts