Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife really loves beagles, but before I buy her one (or two), I want to make sure that they are the right type of dog for us.

First off, we live in an upstairs condo. We both work, so the beagle(s) would be alone for about 8 hours a day during the week. After work, we could likely spend a lot of time with the beagle(s), but I'm worried that he/she/they would be too lonely during the day.

As far as where we would keep him/her/them, we have a large kitchen that we can close section off with a gate, so there would be plenty of room to scamper around and such.
So, does anyone have any insight as to our situation here, before I go and buy 1 or 2, and possibly make some absolutely cute puppies miserable and lonely?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you do get a dog or dogs, it shouldn't be a puppy. That's a really long time for a puppy to be alone, unless you're willing to have someone come in during the day to let them out and play with them. A one or two year old beagle will probably stll have a puppy personality.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Beagles are pack animals. They prefer to be with you or other dogs. If you check your area, I'm sure you can find a Beagle Rescue, Humane Society, or SPCA that has some beagles looking for a home.

FYI: We have two. Murphy outgrew his sepreation Anxiety and was quite happy when we got Summer. Murphy is her rock, her stability in our home. He is always there with her. When I take him to the vet without her, she gets very upset.

·
Registered
291 Posts
There are lots of people here who have two or more beagles who have bonded to each other, and keep each other company. In general, beagles are friendly with other dogs. Maybe you could even find two beagles who are from the same home. That way they'd all ready have a bond. Let us know what you two decide. Best of luck finding the perfect pets.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I would say that if you can get 2 dogs, they would keep each other company (and hopefully quieter) while you're both gone all day. And please consider an adult dog from a Humane Society or rescue organization. 8 hours is an awfully long time for a puppy or puppies to be alone!
Let us know what you decide. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great, helpful information! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Now, another question...
What climate are beagles most comfortable in? I live in SoCal, so it gets hot during the summer, and our place isn't the most comfortable on the really hot days. I could always run a fan or something into where they are kept, but are beagles, in general, ok in warmer weather?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Dogs can only keep cool by panting and a small amount of perspiration through there feet and ears. so they can only stay as cool as the air around them (this is why so many dogs die in hot cars). So if you can make your house comfortable then your Beagles will be happy there. Don't forget the water though.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I concur with the other suggestions that you consider adult rescues rather than puppies, and also that you consider getting two - best of all worlds being if you can find a two-fer... a pair of adults that have lived together and ideally would like a new home where they can stay together.

We have three beagles which are all rescues - from different homes - and they definitely are a lot of comfort for each other when we are not there - although I would suggest that perhaps you start with just two and work your way up to three in due course!

We also live in an upstairs condo and our dogs are perfectly fine with that - just be prepared to have to commit to taking them out for lots of walks rather than having the sometimes easier option of just letting them out into the yard when it is late and night and rainy! Also be forewarned that some rescue organizations have what seems to be a hard and fast requirement that you have a yard in order to adopt - in our experience they can usually be talked around when you explain what your arrangements will be... but it may still be an obstacle you have to overcome if going for a rescue.

Good luck - and be sure to keep us all posted on your decision!

·
Registered
62 Posts
When looking into getting a beagle I think it's also important to ask yourself if you really have the time and energy for such a dog. A beagle needs a lot of exercise (both physical and mental), so if you're not willing to walk your dog for AT LEAST an hour and a half each day, you'd be better off getting another breed.

I have made the experience that Beagles aren't the easiest dogs to leave home alone all day, it is possible, but it takes a lot of practice and patience. In our case our dogs also do not master being alone better having company than without. Spencer is always very quiet and good when the two are alone together (and also when he is completely alone), but Monty sits right next to him and howls until the glass in the windows practically shatters.

I would definately recommend getting an older Beagle (or Beagles), but if staying home alone is really important to you guys, then be careful about which specific dog you choose. You may be able to find private people who are looking for a new home for their beagle, and if their beagle already knows how to stay home alone, he would be a good choice.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ryan,
Welcome to BW. I also agree to get an adult rescue...we got ours at 1-2 yrs and he is awesome...didnt take long to house train, and sometimes he is at home for up to 10 hours (and can hold it too) However, I would get a dog walker if my rescue wasnt so scarred of people, but he does just fine.

Also, where in OC are you from? My FI and I are moving to OC in 3 months. We live in a condo in Chicago now. We are likely moving to Huntington/Newport beach area.

Amanda

1 - 11 of 11 Posts