Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I’m new to this group but not new to pets. My 3 year old Beagle(Tars) is hoper active and cute. But what I miss in him is bonding. He seem to be more of business guy. He takes food, walks and that’s it he is on his own and doesn’t like to be cuddled, he doesn’t show much of excitement seeing us back home after office. I had Golden retriever(Dori) and was amazingly affectionate. Tars never got along with Dori, used to bite and irritate Dori. Just want to know how are they different from other breeds?

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hope you post pictures soon. I think the general consensus is that it take beagles about 3 years to start calming down. My dog is now 8.8yrs old and she is mostly a chill dog now. I cant compare to other breeds since ive had this one dog. I talk to my dog a lot using the same words or phrases and shes responsive. She follows me around and she communicates with her eyes and behavior. She'll sit next to me ..but i basically pet her but shes not into hugging. I imagine thats why golden retrievers and labs make good service dogs...with beagles its all nose. Bottom line they're sweet and smart.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I can relate. I have a Golden and a Beagle. The Beagle is almost 8 and the Golden is 2. The Golden is VERY affectionate. My Beagle is not. lol She will tolerate the Golden but doesn't run and play much with her. When they are in the yard my Beagle is more interested in finding something to eat than playing with her sister. They will play for short periods but not as much as I would like. Now I know my Beagle love me. She greets me every morning very happily and will come sit by me and comes to see me when I get home. She's not as needy for love and attention though as my Golden. Yes they are different. We had my daughters lab visit and she got along great with our Golden. The Beagle snarled for her to get away. She wanted no part of a lab puppy. Too much energy for her. I love them both but yes breeds are different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. I think I should get used to it’s nature. They are really cute all their mischiefs gets masked of in their cuteness. But I do miss the return affection the golden retriever used to give back.
Posting some photos too.

·
Super Moderator
5,111 Posts
We rescued Oliver when he was 6 and he is 11 now. When we first got him,it was the same with him like you are experiencing. Feed me, walk me, take me out and that's it. Now he comes up to be petted, loves his belly rubbed etc. Molly is 14 and a little weirdo, but she loves belly rubs and having her ears scratched.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Xerxes is affectionate, he licks us, and he sleeps on my pillow and sometimes sticks his head on mine while we sleep. But the majority of the time he's happy to be on his own. Neb is more independent, he loves pets, but on his terms.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Autumn like to play it tough but I guess deep down she's a sweetie. She love belly rubs also and has the cutest tail that goes 100 miles per hour when she is happy. I found some proof that they do get along ;) They are both different and I love them both.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Buddy can be very affectionate. There are times where he just wants to be touched. I don’t necessarily have to be petting him just put my hand on him. When I pull it off he will start to head butt me or pawing at my arm. Other times he just wants to be alone. Since I take him to work everyday he will sit next customers and stare at them until they pet him.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Beatrice is a little over 2 and while she will hang out with you and lay near you she never outright initiates the cuddles. Though, once the cuddles have started, she is good to go. Many a nap have been taken with the beag.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts