Our Beagle World Forums banner

Are all Beagles this way? VERY SLY

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  araine 
#1 ·
Charlie used to play a lot with his ball etc....when He was the only dog. However it seems shortly after we adopted another dog, not a Beagle; Charlie is less interested in playing with his balls etc........INSTEAD, Charlie waits to see what the new little guy is doing and what He wants to play with, then takes it away from the new dog, this includes all things the dog has, then Charlie runs with it and makes sure Little guy can't have it, well as I observe, When little guy (Rolo) is out of Eye view for Charlie, Charlie then just lays there with whatever He took from Rolo, having no REAL INTEREST in what He took, but as soon as Rolo comes near Charlie, Charlie grabs it fast with his mouth and acts like he's really enjoying it and plays with it, when Rolo leaves Charlies view again... Charlie ho-hums and pays no attention to it, this is very clever behavour and I wonder do most Beags act this way? P.S Charlie never hurts Rolo nor growls when Rolo comes near him, it's shocking how He can have such control without fighting going on and how there is respect, YET Rolo has more of an Alpha dog attitude and I do mean that He has little man syndrome (Dashound/x jackRuss..., BOTH DOGS ARE 2YEARS OLD, and Rolo was adopted approx 6/7 months ago.

I wish My Charlie played like He used too. IT'S LIKE HE IS A BULLY NOW, without being physical.

#2 ·
Josie gets interested in whatever bone Charlie is chewing. She will have her first, favorite bone. She will see him with another bone and all of a sudden wants THAT one. She will never take it form him though, just bark at him. Never bites. Charlie eventually gets fed up with the barking and lets her have it and grabs another toy.

#4 ·
Uhhh You maybe RIGHT!

We adopted Rolo so Charlie would have someone to play with/companion of the canine kind, however Rolo does not do much playing with Charlie, He is more interested in himself and toy/ball obsessive. Kinda sad, Now more than ever I want to adopt a 3rd dog so Charlie has a close playing friend,brother/sister, however nothing is for sure, cause when we met Rolo, they played that is why we adopted him, I think it was a set-up haha, and just maybe the 3rd dog will do the same thing, act like they are so interested in Charlie, than not so much! *sigh*

#5 ·
Now I have two beagles and a mix breed. None of them are interested in balls. I play fetch with myself most of the time.

But they are constantly taking things from each other. Mick(mix breed) tolerates Jasmine. So when she's around him theres lots of growling from him, but if he has a toy within a few minutes she has it. And she will do the same thing to her sister Maggie. She's like a spoiled little kid that has to have everything everyone else has....

#6 ·
Could be he is a little jealous. Or it could be he wants your other dog to play.
Our two were locked away for their first 6 years and never new what playing was. The only thing they will chase is food!! Snoopy does sometimes try to get Susi to play chase, but she usually looks at him as if he is mad.

#7 ·
Spock and Bones love to chew on things, and they'll take things away from one another. Bones doesn't really play with toys as much as Spock, though, doing more wrestling when she's with her brother, getting him to chase her, and taking things away from him. He grew up playing with us, she grew up in a display box in a pet store. If she's by herself, she'll only chew. I have been working on getting her to play more conventionally with my boyfriend and me. If I give her something, she is only interested in it as far as someone else (me, Spock) has possession of it. She's gotten to where she tugs toys out of my hand, which is such an improvement. Then, as soon as she gets it away from me, she puts it right back into my hand: Mom, let's play some more.

#10 ·
Ruby constantly takes things away from Bailey. Or, if she can't get to his toy, she obsesses over it until she can get to it. If Bailey's locked in his kennel and then gets released, she makes a beeline for his toy, to see what she missed out on. Of course, by that point, his toys has no more treats in it. She also has to always lick his bowl after he finishes eating. I've figured out that it has nothing to do with the type of toy, rather just the fact that he has it.

Bailey is usually (until you read below...) very gentle and laid back. If it's a less valuable toy, e.g. a nylabone or non-treat filled toy, he won't usually put up a fight. But if she gets within two feet of him with a treat filled toy, the warning growl starts. Any closer and he gives her a warning loud bark. That keeps her away, and she watches him from afar, obsessing, sometimes ignoring her own toy.

I just discovered that when I leave them home alone, gated in the kitchen together, the tables turn! Bailey becomes the bully and takes the toys from Ru! I couldn't believe my eyes the other day when I caught him. He's actually more direct and confrontational during this time, and forcefully takes toys from her, and she cowers at the other end of the kitchen! I may have to start separating them when they are home alone.

#11 ·
Violet doesn't take Duke's toys, she just sits in front of him and barks her little head off because he won't share. Duke does steal toys because he thinks all things belong to Duke! Cassie stays out of it. But they all go back between toys and they all want the other dogs toy. It's just like kids.

Oh, and sly is an understatement when it comes to our Dukie. He is the world's greatest doggie actor and can put on such an innocent act and the second you turn your back, BAM! It's actually hilarious because we set him up sometimes just to watch the Duke Show.

#12 ·
When my wife would set something (edible, contained something edible, or has wiped something edible) down on the end table next to her chair, Tucker will sneak behind her chair so he can approach the end table from the back to steal it. It used to work, but we are now wise to his ploy and can catch him before he gets his booty.

#13 ·
lol I liked reading about all your canine loved ones, how funny is it how personalities are if you watch and observe long enough it's almost like fur humans *haha* not that were dogs however; characters of our canine loved ones reminds Me why we love them so much and why we treat them like a family member, we understand them so well, or try too and I'm sure they understand us too as in moods etc.....wow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.