Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finding out that beagles are happier if they are in a group of 2 or more compared to a single dog. My friends have a beagle and a Dalmatian but when the Dalmatian is removed, the beagle becomes anxious and disturbed. Is this normal behavior for a beagle? We have 2 cats, but I'm wondering if that will be sufficient company for a beagle for when we are not at home during the day.

Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I own a yorkie-poo mix as well as my beagle. And one day the yorkie ran away and was gone for about 3 days and my beagle, Molly, you could tell was not the same. She was sad she was always by the door and looking outside. I leave my dog alone alot and i think she loves having another dog there. I would insist on getting another dog. Cats arent as playful as other dogs.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yes! Beagles are extremely pack oriented, and when one of their pack is taken away, they tend to lose it a little bit.
If you can, get a companion for the Beagle.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yes. Two are better than one. Three's pretty cool, too! I've got two senior beagles and a two-year-old Boxett (Basset/Boxer mix). One big happy hound family!!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
As Eleanor already stated, beagles are pack oriented, so two are definitely better than one! We sort of adopted my son's dog at the beginnig of the year, and he and Maggie are super close and do everything together!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But if there are multiple dogs, do they then become more attached to each other and then avoid people?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Originally Posted By: DwayneBut if there are multiple dogs, do they then become more attached to each other and then avoid people?
I don't think so. As long as you establish yourself as the pack leader, they'll always look up to you for guidance and affection. It's just that when you're not around or when you're not able to pay full attention to them, they have each other to entertain and ease that natural need to belong to a pack.

and I echo everyone else's sentiments here...2 is DEFINITELY better than 1 in my house. Java and Lilo are inseparable and even enjoy sleeping next to one another in addition to chasing each other around the house. It's also helped with Java's separation anxiety.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Originally Posted By: Java & Lilo!
It's also helped with Java's separation anxiety.
We have one little Beagle who has separation anxiety. I keep wondering if adding another one to the pack will help but I've been concerned that it wouldn't help but would just give me to dogs with separation anxiety when we're gone. Have you experienced that at all? Do you crate them or leave them out?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Yes, two are better than one. They still love their owners. Our two want to be cuddled all the time but when we havent time to do it they cuddle up together. Once Susi got out of the garden and Snoopy came running to us barking, he was so distressed. My hubby cycled round the area and when he found Susi, phoned me and I took Snoopy in the car with me to pick up the runaway. You should have seen how he jumped on her and licked her.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
In my experience, two are definitely better than one. My dogs, Spock and Bones, have different personalities that complement one another. They love each other, but they have a lot of sibling rivalry going on - they are jealous over any human affection the other receives, and each will nudge the other dog out of someone's lap to get that attention. They keep one another company during the day, and when they think no one's looking, they are the picture of affection toward one another.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
As everyone else has said, Yes. Two (or more in some cases) are better than one. First we had Murphy. He was a lone beagle for 6 years. Then we got Summer. The two kept each other company until Murphy died 7 years later. Summer was alone for 1 month, then Kali joined us. The two a like sisters and are now inseperable. They are very happy.

But keep in mind, its not all sunny and roses. They will fight over little things. There are now two dogs to care for, that includes food, toys, attention, and vet bills You need to be prepared for those as well.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Well, I had just Daisy and she was fine but seemed a little lost so to speak. So, I got Max and she has definitely perked up. She loves him in all of his tiny little bossiness (LOL). I think she'd be completely distraught if he were gone now. I'm still their pack leader but they are peas in a pod.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Originally Posted By: VickiWe have one little Beagle who has separation anxiety. I keep wondering if adding another one to the pack will help but I've been concerned that it wouldn't help but would just give me to dogs with separation anxiety when we're gone. Have you experienced that at all? Do you crate them or leave them out?
I don't fully trust them yet to have full run of the house unsupervised (there's just too much distraction and opportunity for them to get into trouble
). I keep them both in a pretty comfy dog run with a dog house in it. That way, they have space to do their own thing if they choose, or play together. I also don't have to worry about destroyed items in my home and it prevents any escapes (if I were to just leave them in my back yard).

It used to be that Java would whine and cry the second I stepped out the door to get the mail or take the trash out. But now, with Lilo, that has mostly subsided and now I find the two of them waiting quietly for me when I return. It's my humble opinion that our dogs will always feel a little bit of stress from us leaving their sides--it's the nature of our lovable beagles. But how they deal with it is what we can help them through.

Getting a 2nd isn't a quick fix to separation anxiety, but it's definitely helped for me. Keep in mind that I've read in some cases, bringing a 2nd dog in to help with extreme cases of separation anxiety in the 1st dog can even rub off on the new dog. While it helps, I strongly recommend continuing to anxiety releasing training and activities. I'm sure you've read about simple things like making entrances and exits low key. Also, keeping them busy (with kongs and other stimulating toys) helps with that initial shock when you leave.

As Joe said, I had to really think about the impact of bringing a 2nd dog into the family. I knew of the financial and time responsibilities involved, but I really needed to prepare myself to love a 2nd dog the same as Java. I need to be fair with both.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We already had 2 dogs when we adopted Li'l Girl, so I can't say whether or not she'd have separation anxiety without a companion dog. As far as becoming more attached to the other dog(s) than humans, that certainly isn't the case with us.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I want to get Maggie a friend...but I found out an additional collar for my Invisible Fence is close to $650.00, so unfortunately I have to pass on it for now. She does so well with other dogs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2 year old female beagle. As discussed above, mine also has separation anxiety when I go to work. I have been considering getting a second beagle for the pack. My one MAJOR concern is that they will destroy my house. My beagle, Deogee, used to get into trouble when unsupervised. I have put that behavior in check. Will adding another beagle into the pack result in a return of these negative behaviors?

·
Registered
35 Posts
As others have mentioned, Beagles are pack animals and two (or more) are definitely better than one. I used to live in an apartment and when I went to work Jazz would stay at my sister's place where she had a nice sized back yard and two other dogs to be with. IMO this definitely kept Jazz centered and her attention and affections did not waiver from me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Depends on what you are adding. We added a puppy. SO destruction returned but from the new guy. Josie is still well behaved for the most part.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally Posted By: threedognightYes. Two are better than one. Three's pretty cool, too! I've got two senior beagles and a two-year-old Boxett (Basset/Boxer mix). One big happy hound family!!
Oh could you please post a picture of your Boxett!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts