Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started. Made a hamburger stew for my dog, but from what I've read on various internet sites, I got a lot of questions. If anyone can help, I'll start asking questions.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
I had tried to do that awhile ago. Even though you use good ingredients it wont contain all the nutrients (vitamins and minerals) a dog needs. My Vet did not recommend home cooking. One of the problems i had trying this is that inevitably i would run out of a batch at an inconvenient time or not have all the ingredients i needed. Its a lot of work. There are great foods rated 4 or 5 star on www.dogfoodadvisor.com
I feed my dog Freshpet (5 star) which comes in the refrigerated section of the pet store. Its a lot like fresh food.
I buy it at target or walmart who have the best price.
I buy a 6lb roll and slice off a feeding, chop it, then refrigerate the rest for next time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not that I want a new hobby, its that I NEED to make something to last a few days. Three unexpected bills and we are out of money and dog food.
She doesn't eat dry, has 4 cans she will not touch, and half heartedly will eat moist.

I don't think 4 days of homemade food will bother her until my wife gets paid. I just have to make something "safe" for her to eat, and right now, I have a ton of conflicting info on the Internet.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
If you're going to cook the food consider adding supplements like calcium and vitamins. Ive read that egg shells can be ground into a powder and a teaspoon added to a feeding. Hey, i know someone who feeds their several dogs the same food their Vietnamese family eats. You do what you have to do.
My dog has been a picky eater so i fry up (eith water not oil) chicken livers and add some to the top of the food and she will lick the bowl clean.

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
If you use Facebook, check out this site: https://www.facebook.com/groups/welovebeagles/

It's super active and I know that members make the food.

If she won't eat kibble you can try stirring in some warm water with plain yogurt or a tiny bit of beef broth, that might be a less expensive option. I am sure cooked ground turkey/beef with some rice would be okay too. I know mine love that.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
What kibble/canned food brands have you tried? Sometimes it is a matter of finding one they like. Some pet stores sell sample size bags to try. I would not make homemade myself, because I would have no idea how to ensure a balanced diet. As stated above, important vitamins and minerals need to be added. I know of no one who makes a cooked homemade food. I know many who feed raw. All of the 'raw' people add supplements. I think the 'Freshpet' Cassie recommended could be a good choice for you. I doubt your cooked recipe will hurt your dog for a few days, but it may make him more picky to eating more appropriate food. People who feed raw feed meat, organs, bones, with additional ingredients to balance out the diet. A good quality kibble will do that for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before giving your dog any people food, do your research to make sure it's safe. Never feed your dog toxic human items such as: chocolate, onions, grapes, raisins. Bland Diet for Dogs is very good, when an owner sees the sign of vomiting, diarrhea etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts