Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know any Rawhide alternatives?

Can you suggest some alternatives for rawhide, dentabones or any type of chew treat?
I need something for an allergic dog. I am trying to avoid grains for sure and keep it reasonably healthy (ie stay away from Red dye #40 and other unpleasantries) He needs something to keep him busy for a while and satisfy that urge to chew. The Kong does nothing for him. I can't put treats inside it right now, but he never liked it much anyway. Nylabones are so-so. He used to love rawhide or dentabones but until we get his scratching under control, the vet suggested we keep those away for a while longer too.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Re: Anyone know any Rawhide alternatives?

I use a few things for Molly.

Target sells very thin sticks (which are some form of rawhide) but she seems to tolerate them well and they are easy for her to chew. The bag is about $11 for around 100 of them.

She also has a Busy Bone toy which I fill with kibble. Its shaped like a bone and the ends have openings to put the treats in. I think that was also from Target.

And finally, I have a thing which actually brushes her teeth as she chews! Also shaped like a dog bone with little bristles that I put poultry flavored toothpaste on. Here is the link at Petsmart: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752054

·
Registered
837 Posts

We try not to feed anything dried like pigs ears etc often - I think of them as junk food for dogs because of the preservatives in them.

I would go to your butcher and get a big bone! we get the dogs these ones on their birthday:

Healthy and the dogs will be occupied for hours (and you can get them much smaller too).

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

My dogs like Nylabones. They even have flavored ones, but look at the back of the card to make sure it's nothing your dog would be allergic to.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Can the bone be cooked or should it be raw? I know grandma will probly offer the bone from the thanksgiving ham next weekend, but it will have been cooked first. Should I take it home with me or say no?

·
Registered
55 Posts

Originally Posted By: Winston's MomCan the bone be cooked or should it be raw? I know grandma will probly offer the bone from the thanksgiving ham next weekend, but it will have been cooked first. Should I take it home with me or say no?
Someone else will probably confirm, but I'm pretty sure cooked bones, especially ham bones, are a big no-no. Very likely to splinter, and that is very dangerous.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts

I buy a product called Moo Bones for Maggie. She likes the larger knuckle bones. I buy them locally but you can find them at www.k9cusine.com and probably other places on the internet as well.
She chews on one for a few minutes every night before she gets on the couch to sleep for the evening.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Originally Posted By: Nolan
Originally Posted By: Winston's MomCan the bone be cooked or should it be raw? I know grandma will probly offer the bone from the thanksgiving ham next weekend, but it will have been cooked first. Should I take it home with me or say no?
Someone else will probably confirm, but I'm pretty sure cooked bones, especially ham bones, are a big no-no. Very likely to splinter, and that is very dangerous.
Definitely no cooked bones of any description for dogs
Raw is excellent though!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

any type of bones better than another?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

When I want to keep the pack occupied - I go to the store and buy packages of beef marrow bones. The family room looks like a graveyard with all the bones down here - but they DO keep them occupied. Raw is better! Tho I know some companies do sell cooked beef bones for dogs. As someone who has fed a raw diet in the past - you CAN feed raw chicken bones - necks and backs are excellent - but NEVER cooked chicken bones. They splinter. Once in a while one of the stores in Pullman has beef ribs on sale for 99 cents/lb - and I pick up a couple of packages of those. They're HUGE packages - and normally will have enough bones for each of the kids to have a couple of treats - with some leftover for me to make soup with. Much better for them than rawhides. By the way, pork necks are good too - RAW, of course, tho they don't often have them at the stores. I had to quit feeding a BARF (Bones and Appropriate Raw Foods) diet because of the cost - and the time involved in feeding this pack.
I'm always amazed when I give them the marrow bones - they manage to get every bit of marrow from them - and then will drag the bones out for more chewing fun.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

Originally Posted By: Winston's Momthe bone from the thanksgiving ham next weekend, but it will have been cooked first. Should I take it home with me or say no?
I know you are asking about the ham bone but please don't take any ham scraps home to Winston. Ham is extremely high in fat content and indulgence can lead to a bout of pancreatitis. It is hard not to indulge but stick with low fat treats.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Originally Posted By: Winston's Momany type of bones better than another?
Beef, lamb, chicken etc are all great for dogs. We've fed lamb shanks, chicken necks/wings and carcasses/frames. As long as its raw you can feed just about anything.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts

Originally Posted By: Smeagle
Originally Posted By: Winston's Momany type of bones better than another?
Beef, lamb, chicken etc are all great for dogs. We've fed lamb shanks, chicken necks/wings and carcasses/frames. As long as its raw you can feed just about anything.

I've always been told to NEVER give dogs chicken bones, as their small size can cause esophageal and/or stomach perforations...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

In feeding a raw diet - RAW chicken bones are allowed - and encouraged. Backs, necks and wings are usually the cheapest - tho at times I've gotten hindquarters for 49 cents/lb - as compared to having to pay 89 cents for chicken backs and necks (which, by the way, have the ideal proportion of meat to bone). COOKED chicken bones will splinter and cause problems, but if they're raw they're fine. The raw bones don't splinter. Animals in the wild eat raw bones all the time. And everyone I know who has fed or is feeding a raw diet will swear by it. If I had a better source of bones here, I'd probably still be doing it. My dogs were very healthy - had wonderful skin and coats, and it keeps their teeth sparkling. One of the benefits of a BARF diet is the ease of clean up. I miss those days! By the way it's NOT just raw bones, but veggies, fruits, eggs (raw - shell and all), mine also got cottage cheese and yogurt (which they still get). When they do get a nice big raw bone now they're happy campers.
When I first heard about BARF feeding, I said, I can't give my dogs raw bones...I can't give my dogs raw eggs ... I can't give my dogs .... - but I did and they loved it and all did very well on it. I had to quit 4 years ago when I became very ill - and couldn't do the preparation - it was easier to give them just kibble, but they do still get occasional treats of raw meaty bones. By the way, Gale, you'll find a lot of info about the BARF diet on Beagle Bay. Deb is the one that got me started on it. She had a German Shepherd that was allergic to everything - so she started researching canine nutrition - she has a massive collection of information (a whole book case devoted to animal nutrition). She started feeding her dogs a raw diet - and Cameo's allergies disappeared! She just crossed the rainbow bridge a few months ago - at a nice ripe old age.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Originally Posted By: Li'l Maggie
I've always been told to NEVER give dogs chicken bones, as their small size can cause esophageal and/or stomach perforations...
As beaglesmom said, chicken bones are bad only if they are cooked. Chicken frames are huge, and definitely aren't small - same with wings. We feed our dogs chicken bones daily and have done for years with no problems.

If I had more time I would feed BARF without a doubt, its just getting all the meat in bulk and having a big enough freezer for everything! Although I am planning to try the BARF patties.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts

I didn't know it made a difference if they were raw or cooked...I just know I've always been told not to feed fish or chicken bones. Thanks for the clarification!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

I've never fed fish bones - because I don't buy fish - but it is my understanding that in a BARF diet that you can feed raw fish - bones and all. I don't LIKE fish - and it's so expensive in stores, I couldn't think of feeding it to the dogs.
In order for me to get chicken backs and necks here I have to order 40# at a time - and @ 89 cents/lb it isn't cheap. When Deb was BARF feeding her dogs she had a supplier where she could get the backs and necks for 15-20 cents/lb. That makes it cost effective. She also got veggies free - her grocer saved the vegetables that were a little wilted but otherwise fine. You can also feed organ meats, but not more than once a week. Offhand I don't remember the amount to feed per pound of dog, but it's posted on BB. They each got one raw egg per week (tho they can have more cooked) - I put the eggs in the blender - shell and all - and they lap it up! Raw veggies & fruits need to be shredded to digest well - you can chop up the chicken backs and necks, but I just hand them each one. You can use other meats - I've used whatever I had on hand - if you don't have the bones, you can put the meat in the food processor with some veggies. If you BARF feed exclusively it can be time consuming - most people I know who BARF feed, mix up a week's worth at a time and put it in serving sized portions. I never did BARF feed exclusively, but used a combination of BARF, good quality kibble and home cooking - they LOVE doggie stew made with rice, chicken or hamburger, veggies, green beans, carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, lots of good vitamins. When I have a nursing mommy who's appetite is off, I cook lots of doggie stew for her - along with a lot of cottage cheese and yogurt, so she has good milk for her puppies.
When I had my first litter here (Princess' only litter), I BARF fed her - she had the fattest, healthiest puppies of any litter born here. They were actually weaned to the combination feeding. I have pictures of two of the puppies with a chicken leg when they were about 8 weeks old! I'll see if I can find them and post them here.

·
Registered
837 Posts

We can get 2kg of chicken necks here for $2 (Australian) which is nothing at all, they are great for the dogs too. Chicken frames are also really cheap here, so if you aren't feeding raw but want to add in some raw meat/bones with their dried food chicken is a great option. Chicken wings are also a good option.

·
Registered
40 Posts

All four of our beagles loved Booda Velvets. They are made out of cornstarch and are fully digestable. They come in different sizes according to the dog's weight and come in several flavors. Ours will chew them in one sitting. For that reason we limit them to one or two a week. They also cause loose stools if eaten that quickly!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts

We never buy rawhide as its dangerous. But we buy dried gut (lights) which our beagles find easy to digest. Never feed cooked bones of any sort, raw beef bones are o.k. and raw chicken.
When our two start putting on weight we swap their high calorie treats for raw carrots.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts