Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tinker gets all fired up at fire engines and police sirens. He also bays at the poor ice cream truck that roams the neighborhood playing that goofy song on the loudspeaker. However, with certain Enigma and Enya songs, he just starts baying, like a wolf at the moon. After several months I narrowed the songs down to anything with deep choir voices, usualy male, that make him go beserk. I would howl just before the particular part of the song that would make him howl and he would then hear the part of the song, and me howling, and howl himself. Now I can just howl and anytime of the day or night, with no music or sirens in the distance and get him going! He has the most gorgeous bay, very sad but bold. It's not barking either, but almost wolf like (well dogs are descendants of wolves..) with long stretches of oooooooo while he cups his jowls and mouth in a small O as if he is blowing smoke rings. Maybe once a month or so I feel the mood is just right when I am sad about something or upset at the news and I'll sit down and he comes right over and we howl together. It's another extra dimension to the bond we share, human and canine, that's so primative it's energetic and relaxing all at once. My wife even joins in on occasion so I wouldn't say it's a male thing. But I'm curious if any other owners howl with their Beagles, and what the owners gender is. Or am I gonna get laughed off the forum.. :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
We do! My dh LOVES to get Toby riled up! You can howl and he will start to howl. Lucky just looks at us like we are crazy! We love it when Lucky bays, though, because he has a great bay. Toby's turns into a bark pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
My husband sometimes barks at Maggie (my teenage daughter has asked him not to do it front of her friends). Maggie doesn't usually bark back though, she is more likely to run over by me and look at him with a worried look on her face. We have only heard Maggie bay a few times, once when she chased a racoon into a tree and several times in pursuit of squirrels.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Spock is very quiet, and I think maybe we heard him howl once when the train went by, when he was very little. Bones, however, is a devoted howler. Sometimes I try to howl to get her going, but my boyfriend discourages that, so I just do it when he's not around.
I love to play YouTube videos of howling beagles and get Bones going. It leaves me in stitches.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've got 4 of the darlings. One night for the first time I went on You Tube and played some beagles doing their little crazy chuckling when they scent.(There is a special term for it..can't think of it right now.) All of my girls came running in the room from a dead sleep and went NUTS. It was so funny!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My pack will usually howl if I'm outside and they're inside. Like they're telling me to either get back in the house or let them out. It usually happens when I'm getting ready to leave for work and stop to do something outside. None of mine howl at sirens, but my mom had a mini schnauzer years ago who would put his little head back and howl every time a siren went by. It was really funny. Here it's usually my oldest, (Princess) who starts singing then everyone else joins in - until we have a choir of 9! And yes, I've been known to bay with them. It's especially fun to watch puppies learn to sing!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe doesn't howl a lot, only when some strangers approach, or when new strange big dogs approach. I love her bay

When I try to howl along with her, she stops and looks at me, almost saying: hey, that's my thing, when you grow a tail and longer ears, we'll talk!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Menolly hasn't howled yet; even when the sirens go off and all the other dopgs in the neighborhood howl! She's cried when left alone and occasionally barks at things she doesn't like, but no howling yet.

It's kind of funny, actually; she's a Beagle and the quietest dog on the block!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Carrie - give her time - puppies make a lot of noises when they're playing, but don't usually start barking at EVERYTHING for a couple of months.

By the way, when I'm taking pictures of the pack (either singly or in a group) some of my best shots are when they look at me when I bay at them. They get the most quizzical looks on their faces.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Lucy and Flora don't howl on their own often. In fact, right now I can't think what makes them howl, rather than bay or bark.

However, we do have family howling sessions (rarely, out of consideration of the neighbors). I think it is great fun. Of course, I howled BEFORE I had a dog, so I'm glad for the excuse. My husband and kids join in too, and Lucy and Flora just seem to have fun with it.

So, WTB, if you are laughed off the forum, I'll be going with you, and clearly it is NOT a male thing.

·
Registered
400 Posts
That's the only way Java will make any noise! I start by mimicking a howl and he usually joins in--it's adorable.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The only time Duke howls is when I play this one You Tube video (its called Perfect Beagle Howl and it is!). He loves that video and goes crazy. The beginning is a cell phone ring that sets the dog off in howling and when Duke hears the phone, he knows what's coming. Otherwise, he barks and bays (and not excessively), but no howling.

Violet, on the other hand, is my noisy girl. She howls at kitty, at Duke, at the door when we leave. She loves to howl and it sounds so dang cute. I do howl back at her and that gets her going even more.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I occasionally howl with Tucker. He howls when he wants us to do or get something for him (aka something edible).

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Ironically, of our three dogs, it's the one that is not a beagle that howls. And that is when my son plays his guitar or piano...she comes from where ever she is and makes herself comfortable and howls until it's over. She is a bordercollie/lab mix named Kelsey-Bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts