Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks! Still struggling with Maggie's skin problems (related to Cushings). Not only have the weekly baths with special shampoo and cream rinse not allieviated the itching (and resultant scabs), Maggie is becoming very bath-phobic. She did so well the first few weeks -- seemed to really enjoy being massaged. No longer ... if she sees me even walk into the bathroom where she gets bathed, she bolts into a closet at the other end of the house and cowers in a corner. Last week I tried a very small dose of acepromazine beforehand but that didn't help. Talked with the vet today and he is recommending I try a "sulphur dip" -- he said it is really effective but the smell is so horrible (yup, that nasty rotten egg smell) that I might want to figure out how to do it outside! You all know that I go to great lengths for Maggie but not sure I can handle this one ...

·
Registered
158 Posts
poor you and maggie. I can't really help as I've never even bathed beaglina - but just by way of a little encouragement I wanted to say that I go to sulphur springs in the winter - and you honestly don't notice the smell after a while!
I just go because I like being warm :) but I have friends who say it helps their psoriasis.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Judy, I've never done the sulphur dip, but I have used a sulpher based shampoo with Amber before. She had a staff infection on her belly once. It's got an awful smell to it but it does work well. I seem to remember that the smell wasn't as awful as it seemed it would be.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know about dogs, but as an Israeli I can say that hundreds of people (even thousands) with skin problems come to the Dead Sea every year and report improvement.... Sulphur is good for many skin conditions... :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Poor Maggie...I have no advice. Will she ever gets cured? Hope she won't have to suffer too long.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:Originally posted by Charlie mom:
Poor Maggie...I have no advice. Will she ever gets cured?
Nope, no cures for Mags -- just attempts at getting/keeping her comfortable. Cushings is usually very controllable but, unfortunately, the drugs used to treat Cushings are very potent chemotherapy drugs and, because of Maggie's liver disease, she cannot be treated with them so we are just trying to treat symptoms. Not up to dealing with the alternative at this point ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts