Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here tried giving calming herbal supplements/pills? I've been looking for alternatives to prescribed medication to help Java with (what I suspect to be) separation anxiety. I think for the most part, i do notice a slight difference as he appears to be a little more mellow, but I'm not sure if it is just wishful thinking. These tablets supposedly contain soothing ingredients that should help with anxiety, nervousness, tension or stress.

I know there are some pheromones products out there too but they can be a bit pricey. What are your thoughts or experience with this stuff?

Thanks!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I now of people that use Rescue Remedy. The results vary from dog to dog.

Personally, I do not trust homeopathic meds. It didn't work for Murphy (different situation).

That doesn't mean it won't work for you. I always say try and see.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would at least try and it and see. Anything like that has absolutely no effect on Maggie. We have tried Doggie Calm, I thought it worked the first time until one day Maggie ate an entire bag and was still bouncing around the backyard. We also tried PetEze, once again I thought it worked but later on I found out that she was barking the entire time we were gone. Our roommate has a huge black lab and he was giving him benadryl in a piece of cheese and Maggie accidentally got it. I thought for sure she would be sound asleep. Nothing happened. The black lab was out!! I think it really just depends on the dog!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
There are many different herbal stuff for that, and you don't need to do that, since its not prescribed, but I would check with a vet before using it, just in case!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I know that a lot of greyhound owners use Rescue Remedy and swear by it.

I have used something called a DAP diffuser for the greys and now for Molly. Its like a Glade Plug In with no odor but it tames a skittish new dog. If you do get one, only plug it in when you are away from home or your dog is exceptionally nervous because the DAP's do warm up a bit, plus its wasteful and they aren't cheap. Petco has a similar brand that is a bit cheaper.

Link to info:

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/ns...&I1.x=12&I1.y=5

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Spencer has severe SA and we tried all of those herbal oils, none of them did anything but then again, neither did the perscribed medication. We seem to be getting over it and what seems to be helping is an extreme increase in exercise. We are doing at least 5km on the weekends as well as running time on the treadmill during the week. We did 4km today and are heading out biking a bit later. Most of Spencer's problem seems to have been pent up energy and me worrying too much about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts