Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
everyone - sorry been gone so long and need to keep this short since I am at work now. Here's the deal-

Remember Christine, the young lady I asked prayers for (see original post under prayers) - she was having to have a lung transplant as a result of chemo damage to her lungs following treatment (a few years ago) for cancer - which she has successfully beat. She has also had the transplant, is now in rehab and will soon be discharged altho she will still be staying in St. Louis for 2-3 months for follow-up and additional rehab.
Connection with Shiloh - when my sis & I did our first Relay for Life with Christine, Shiloh was with us - at Christine's insistence. He was maybe 3 months old at the time and Christine was around 7th grade - she is now about 20. (those are all guestimates, I'm terrible with ages and years). Anyway, Shiloh spent most of his time at the Relay on Christine's lap - she was in a wheelchair at the time because the osteosarcoma was in one of her legs which because of it's weakened condition was amputated a little over a year ago. As Christine's dad would take turns with us pushing Christine around the track, Shiloh got to ride around on her lap - almost the entire time.

Need to get bak to work - end of story - we will all be going to visit Christine at her motel on 8/9 while Shasta is at doggy daycare. I am thinking at least 2 stretch/potty breaks plus Shiloh will be wearing his Halti plus a harness and 2 STRONG leashes - probably each held by me and sis when we break - he has a bit of a reputation as an escape artist so don't want to take any chances with this. I will also be using his metal crate for him to be in which I am going to fasten down, in the car. Unless he is showing signs he really needs it, I will limit his water intake except when we stop for breaks because I don't want to much water in him that mite upset his tummy - he's never traveled this much. By the way, it is between 5-6 hours between here(Topeka, KS) and St. Louis. I know there are members here around the St. Louis area plus I have been there a few times myself - isn't the weather about the same there as it is here at that time of year - hot, humid & muggy? Ok, gotta get to work. Oh, and because of time constraints, high gas prices, impossible motel bill - this drive & short visit will all take place in 24 hours
Be bak later.......

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We just did our first long drive with Duke when we got Violet. It was 3-1/2 hours there and 3-1/2 hours back. We bought this car harness for him:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755199

It worked great! He was such a good boy, he could either sit lie down. I gave him water a few times on the trip, and he drank when interested. Since our temps were around 100 that day, I made sure he had it when he needed it. He didn't cry, whine, get sick, try to escape, nothing. Normally, before the harness, he would be all over the place. Now Violet's was too big, so she got right out of it, but luckily she slept either on my lap or in the back seat. We only made one potty stop there and one potty stop on the way home.

We didn't feed Duke that morning before we left and on the way home, we waited until we were about 1-1/2 hours from home to get lunch and give them a plain hamburger as a treat.

One thing to stronly caution you about, beware of gas stations! When we stopped on the way home, Dave went to get gas and I got the beags out to go potty. We were parked at the pump and started walking over to a grassy area. Thank goodness I looked down because some idiot had leaked antifreeze all over the ground. I pulled up on their leashes to keep them from putting their noses to the ground and then I cleaned their paws off, just in case they touched any of it. It really ticked me off, with so many people traveling with animals, people should be more aware of how toxic this is and make sure it's cleaned up right away. So be sure to keep an eye out for any radiator leaks at gas stations. Or, better yet, plan your doggies potty breaks away from the gas station, it's probably safer all the way around.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
The things we usually pack for a trip are:

- tags with a local or cell-phone # on them (you can make the tags with those write-on key tags or a label maker)

- lots of poo bags and paper towels and/or towel rags

- a jug of water from home (so the local water won't give them a tummy ache)

- if he gets nervous at all in new situations, a DAP diffuser for the hotel and/or DAP spray to help calm him down

- favorite toys!!!

- small emergency kit with pain meds, allergy meds, etc.

Safe travels

1 - 3 of 3 Posts