Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carlo, our three year old beagle is not acting right for the last few hours. He's not quite as active as normal but his appetite is. He keeps licking the base of his tail/anal region. He also doesn't seem able to find a comfortable position to rest. He started falling asleep sitting up. We thought he might have gas or constipation so we gave him some canned pumpkin which he readily ate. Any ideas or should we be off to the emergency vet?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Might be a problem with his anal glands, or a hurt tail. We've experience both. If he otherwise seems okay you could probably wait until the morning to see your regular vet, but for peace of mind it might be worth checking it out at the emergency vet...

·
Registered
58 Posts
When Floppy was young he had a bad infestation of hookworms, and would act a lot like you are describing. Did Carlo get into something recently, like other dog feces or some trash? I agree with Booker, you could probably wait until morning for a vet visit.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wish I had some advice to offer, but the best I can do is send loads of good thoughts to Carlo..hope he gets better!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I would monitor him closely until you can get to your regular vet.
Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all your good thoughts about Carlo. He seems better today. His energy level is about 90%. We were at my Mom's yesterday and he tried to jump up on a chair but fell off twice, so maybe he injured his tail and we didn't notice the injury. He's a little sensitive to touch around there. We give him an Ultram for occassional back problems. That may help also. Ed and I will continue to monitor him. I feel better today also when I see him getting back to normal and tormenting older beagle brother Benji!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts