Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've asked this before, but since it's been quite awhile I'll ask again in case some of the newer members have input.

Our Traveler has a bad problem with plaque forming on his teeth even though I brush them several times a week, get them cleaned, and give him clindamycin as prescribed by the vet.

He's at the point of needing another teeth cleaning, and when I called the local vet he said he wouldn't do the Oravet treatment. A reason wasn't given, he just said that I could try another vet to see if I could get it. Our other vet does apply Oravet. Of course, it costs more, but if it's effective that's not a big problem. Traveler's 7-1/2 years old now, and we don't like having to put him under so often. If Oravet would keep him from having to have so many teeth cleanings, the extra cost would be well worth it.

Any input/suggestions will be welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We have had some experience with Oravet with our elder beagle, Debut (15 1/2 yrs old). The Oravet treatment that I am familiar with is a wax that is applied to the gumline. While this can be applied by the vet immediately following the cleaning, we also used it weekly at home.

If you can find a vet that will order it for you, it really can make a difference; with Debut, we were having to have her teeth cleaned about every 3 months; at her advanced age, we were concerned about putting her under so often. Once we started using the Oravet, though, we haven't yet needed to have a professional cleaning done, and it has been about a year.

Also, if you are able to obtain the Oravet, I use a plastic glove to apply it, rather than the applicators provided in the package; the glove gives better control over the application of the wax.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ktv,

Thanks for your input. We've pretty well made up our minds to go with the Oravet treatments. It can't hurt anything. Will have the vet clean Traveler's teeth and apply the first application then I'll do the at-home applications.

Denise,

The vet didn't give a reason why he wouldn't apply Oravet. His vet tech has previously worked for a vet who did use Oravet, and she said it works. A lot of us who use the local vet think he's winding down to retirement, so maybe that's his reason. Since we already have another vet who sees Traveler and Spook, and who uses Oravet, we'll just take Traveler to him.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Am off to the vet tomorrow morning for a check-up with Maggie -- am definitely going to ask about Oravet. I have never heard of it but am very interested. Question, though: Maggie has a problem with calculus -- is that the same thing as plaque? A month after she has her teeth cleaned, there is heavy build-up on the back teeth on one side. It makes bulges on her face! She has never gum disease nor had to have teeth pulled. I have never brushed her teeth and she does not like my hands (or the vet's) anywhere near her mouth. Don't think I could do any applications at home but perhaps the treatment by the vet during her cleaning would help.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
It's sure worth looking into Sandy! Whatever works! More and more studies are showing a HUGE link between gum disease and other systemic diseases in humans and dogs.

(For those with younger, healthier dogs.....Please consider adding toothbrushing to your routine at least two times per week since most of our dogs don't chew raw bones regularly)

***Please forgive me, I can't help myself.....I've preached oral hygiene for 30 years as my job***

Oh yea....the difference between plaque and tarter (or calculus) is a matter of density/maturity.
Plaque forms in mouths following a meal, and can be easily removed with a brush or any mechanical method. Tarter (calculus) is the hardened plaque that is not removed....once it hardens, you must visit the vet or dental hygienist for removal. The more frequently plaque is removed, the less tarter can form.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Plaque forming is often link to food. If you are feeding your dog non premium food, or wet.semi-dry food, I would start by switching to a good Premium food such as Royal Canin for exemple.
A product I find very good for preventing polaque build up is "Breathelyser". It is a liquid. Put only a few drop in his drinking water and no teeth brushing is necessary. It is about $11 to $13 a bottle and the bottle will last you 6 months to a year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts