Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and created an account so that I can hopefully receive some sound advice about how to handle my beagle, Rosoce. Let me start off by saying that he is a FANTASTIC dog. He is super friendly, sleeps all day, is (mostly) obedient, and usually sleeps through the night. My problem, or shall I say, my neighbors problem...(who doesn't have the courage to approach me to my face) is that he APPARENTLY howls hours and hours...non-stop...everyday. It is true, sometimes he howls when we leave him. But, I am home all day usually everyday so I know when he is howling it is usually for a brief period of time in the middle of the day.
I'm not sure how to make him stop, if he is indeed howling the entire time he is left alone. He isn't remotely interested in toys or bones so those don't help and I really don't like the idea of a bark collar.
Could he really be howling for two hours straight???
Any and all advice/comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hmm... I don't have a lot of experience with this. We really haven't had too much trouble with ours howling, but they're aren't by themselves either. I've heard the howling thing more with single dog homes.

I would suggest trying to first figure out if he actually is howling that much. When we first got our two we lived in an apartment. I would go to leave and just stand outside for a little while to make sure they were quiet.

Do you crate Roscoe while you're away?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't notice him howling when we leave. We are thinking about getting a tape recorder to see if he really howls that much while we are gone. I think maybe our neighbor just isn't dog friendly as no one else in our building is bothered by him.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'd also be tempted to get a tape recorder. We have a neighbor that used to be annoyed by another neighbors dogs. Instead of trying to figure out who's dog was actually causing the problem, they called animal control and had them leave notes for a bunch of us! They even sent the cops to my other neighbors home. They have a golden retriever who almost never barks, so we know is wasn't him causing the problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know Hailey doesn't do that. During the day, she has the run of a fairly large laundry/mud room. I've purposefully left a radio running all day long for her. I also have a cat that seems to like threatening the dog from underneath the door with a paw. No separation anxiety; but maybe she's too placid from that respect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts