Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to get rid of ants and ant beds in the yard (safely so not to hurt the Beagles)? Last summer I had our pest control service spray the yard 3 different times to kill ants, but it never did get rid of them. We have the ant beds back again now. Sadie and Pooh Bear will stand right in an ant bed and ants get on their feet and bite them!! Silly doggies. Anyway, if anyone has a suggestion, let me know, thanks,

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Mom of 2, for the past few years we've treated our yard with Ortho Bug B Gon Max. It comes in a red bag, is granular, and you can buy it at Lowe's, and I'm sure, Home Depot. It needs to be watered down when applied.

We started using this to kill fleas and ticks, but, happily, it also does a good job of controlling ants and other insects. :thumbup:

It's had no ill effects on the dogs or Miss Priss.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
We grew up in Florida and red ants were horrible (I say were only because I dont' live there anymore..yeah no red ants!)

My uncle use to use Sugar and Baking Soda sprinkled over the hills.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We have huge ant hills all over the place at the apartments. We have to be carefull about where we let Jersey go at night so we can see where she's standing. They spray, but they'll just pop up somewhere else. At the house, we also had a lot of ant hills. We used to pour boiling water on them. It kills the grass, but usually it got the bugs too. Sometimes my aunt would try bleach too, but only in the areas Amber couldn't get to. They are so very hard to get rid of. I hate them. I stepped in an ant hill a few weeks ago. My shoes were covered with them and I started feeling the burn. I had about 10-15 bites all over my legs and feet. I got my shoes off faster than ever before! Uggh, I'm itching just thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, darned ants. These appear to be run of the mill little brown ants. I'd like to try the baking soda and sugar trick first. Then if that doesn't work I'll try that brand by Ortho.

·
Registered
439 Posts
done quickly, a friend use to get a good shovel full of ant mound, lift it up, pour a cup of rice under it and set the mound back down. wait 2 days. on the second day, he would water the heck out of that mound. ants dead. they would eat the rice then drink the water. pop!
he would sometimes mix a little honey or sugar to the rice to get the ants really interested. no a whole lot though.

·
Registered
439 Posts
ortho max is a good product too. you will need a spreader though. cheap at homedepot. thing is,most ant kill products take about 3 weeks to really get going good. this product starts to work in just a few days.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
All I know is to prevent the ants from going in your house through cracks and windows. Draw a line with a piece of chalk along the window edges outside, that should work I heard. I should try the Ortho max too.

·
Registered
439 Posts
momof2

lol it does sound funny huh? but if you look inside a lot of the dry ant killers, theres rice.
i'll never forget...... i was like 4 yrs old ok. the guy across the street had been fighting a big ant hill for weeks. finally he gave up and tried the old way, gasoline. i was watching the whole time. he poured that gas on the hill, and ran and got some more. remember the old style gas cans? yep two of them. he waited til it soaked in real good. bout 5 minutes. then poured himself a line way back to light. what an idiot. he lights it. woosh! not only the main hill went up about 10 ft high, he had these little fires everywhere. i guess the ants had tunnels everywhere. the funny part was watching/hearing him try to untangle his garden hose which was in knots. then only to find out it was way to short and the water on high couldnt reach the fire. by this time folks that lived on either side of him were running over with buckets to help him put out his fire/s.
oh lord, that brings me to another story if i may.

·
Registered
439 Posts
i dont mean to hijack this post, sorry, but this story is just to good to not tell.

ok, i use to work at a popular dealership here in the atlanta area. im a mechanic by trade ok. well there was a service adviser that worked there named jim. jim is a tall linky fella, glasses, and a glass eye. no this isnt a joke.
he was a pretty nice guy ok, but not the sharpest tool in the shed by any means. his heart was in the right place, but his brain was.........never mind. ok jim had 2 problems. 1 he loved his beer, every day. 2nd, his wife hated his beer, any day.
so ole jim told his wife good bye one morning as usual before heading off to work. he drove around for a good hour or 2 before returning home.
he was gonna skip work and drink his beer all day.
his logic was, by the time she got home he could be good and ripped and by then it was a great day and to late for her to do anything about it.
well, she too had left, but he thought she was on her way to work. nope! she only went grocery shopping. ok, she comes home an hour or 3 later to find ole jims feet up and him relaxed.
well, it hit the fan. so she gave him the "honey do" list. jims day of R&R was over.
he were at work standing around doing nothing and jim called one of the guys cell phone. told the story about his wife and the beer. our sides were hurting we were laughing so hard. but little did we know the funny hadnt happened yet. so jim is asking questions. his lawn mower had stalled.
he wanted us to walk him through the repair, whatever it may have been. so we asked him several questions. we couldnt figure out the problem. we told him to take the spark plug boot off the plug and tell us if he seen a spark when he pulled the rope handle starter. "yep i do" he replied. one of the guys laughed and said "known jim, theres probably no gas in the mower". well sure enough, no gas. so jim is trying to pour gas and its splashing all over the place, so he put the phone down so he could get the gas in the mower. so he picked up the phone and asked should he try to start the mower. yes we told him.
jim give the rope a good solid pull. then we hear this screaming, and the phone went dead. we thought he was just excited he got his mower running. well the next day ole jim calls out of work. hes been in a accident. so after work we headed over to ole jims place. there he sets with his leg wrapped up and he couldnt hardly walk. come to find out, when jim was pulling on the mowers starter he had forgot to put the spark plug boot back on the plug and the spark ignited the spilled gas on the mower deck and his leg went up in flames. oh but the story doesnt end here. jims wife was gone when we went over to see what "accident" he was in. so jim came to life while we were there. there was a big pile of leaves that jim had managed to rake up before he set himself on fire. so he poured some gas on the pile and let it soak in (bad move). he had to run up stairs to get his lighter. well, he grabbed a beer too. then started running his yap some more.
he almost forgot the pile. so he hobbles out to the lawn and pours himself a lil trail of gas to light. woosh! that pile (about a 8x8, 4 ft high)
went up like nothing youve ever seen. the gas had soaked in and settled to the bottom. you could see the tips of the flames over top the roof from the street side of the house. we called the fire dept. they came pretty fast.after the fire was out when we told the the series of events that had happened in the last 24 hrs to ole jim, they were laughing so hard they left as fast as they came. true story.
ok ladies, should you not be clear on the whole spark plug thing, please let your hubby read this and have him to explain what happened. to explain that part would take up 3 of this story in time and space on the forum. i dont expect you to understand, its a guy thing i guess. i do promise you this, once you fully understand, i can not be held accountable for the pain your sides will be in from the laughter! :biglaugh: /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif :rotflmao: :hysterical:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Mix several parts sugar, one part boric acid powder in some water. I use an empty seasoning bottle with the plastic interior lid that has ant sized holes in it. Fill the bottle with some cotton balls soaked in your solution. Place the bottle, on its side, where the ants can find it! You can build them a little ant ramp and hide it under something so inquisitive beagle noises can't investigate. You don't want to kill the little worker ants right-away so use more sugar than boric acid powder. They will take it home, tell all their ant buddies, who will come retrieve more and feed it to the leaders of the ant community including the queen and the queens attendents. If the queen dies, the attendents can stimulate a hatchling to become a queen so you need to wipe out both at the same time. 48 hours later you will see a marked decrease in ant activity. 96 hours later, the will be no more ants alive in that colony! Keep the boric acid powder and bait bottle handy, Nature abhors a vacuum and sooner or later another homsteading ant colony will appear! I get intruder ants about once a year, they pay the ultimate price for their attempted ant invasion!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Forgive me asking Bob, where do you get boric acid? Sound interesting, I think I'll do it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Any drug store, pharmacy, or large department store should have it! It is used as an antiseptic and acts as a natural insecticide. Don't really want your pooch to digest mass quanties but it is safe and the container I recommend works well with an inquisitive Bagel nose around! The key is to eradicate the colony, not just the sacrifical scout ants so you mix heavy on the sugar to boric acid ratio. Bout the only thing I know that can safely deal with cockroaches!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Nasty little critters. I do hate 'em. I have not had any success using OTC products from Home Depot or home remedies. I tried a bunch of them.

I started having my yard sprayed a year ago by a certified lawn dude, and I can tell you right now, I don't have ants or moles any more. Notta. Zero. All gone.

No idea what special secret stuff he sprays, but it kills the ants, runs the moles away to my neighbor and it doesn't hurt my dogs.

He would probably come to Destin, but the fuel and labor charge might be a little steep :toofunny:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts