Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Toby either got into some ants or has gotten several bites from the sand gnats - or maybe a combination of both. The poor little guy is scratching like crazy. Benadryl helps, but I don't want to keep him on Benadryl for days on end until they heal. I starting putting olive oil in his food this morning, guessing that all the scratching is drying his skin.

Is there anything else I can do?? Any good anti-itch shampoos? I do have a 17 month old child in the house, so I have to be careful of what goes on Toby's coat, but I can separate them for a bit if I have to. Any ideas???

TIA!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
You could try one of the Oatmeal dog shampoos maybe. My vet prescribed a shampoo with hydrocortisone in it for my last dog, but I don't know if they sell anything like that over the counter.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I'll second the Oatmeal shampoo for relief of itchy skin. As far as what you put on the bites, I'd call the vet because you wouldn't want to put on anything that he could get sick from licking off.

Good luck!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to our all natural pet store and got some shampoo and spray for him that has Neem oil in it (also has citronella, eucalyptus, etc.). The lady said that it would help the itching and also help repel bugs in the future. We will see! If that doesn't work pretty quickly, I will try the Oatmeal shampoo next. At my next vet visit, I am going to ask about the shampoo with hydrocortisone in it. It seems like that would be handy to have on standby!!

I appreciate the suggestions! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
"Absorbine Jr" is an old "tried & true" relief for bug-bites!
It will "sting", but it will also have a cooling effect if you
blow on it!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where can I find Absorbine Jr???

Also, saw Hydrocortisone shampoo at Petsmart today! I am guessing it isn't the same as prescription, but maybe worth a try!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts