Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both of my older beagles have been heavy...Cobi has lost two pounds since September, with about 5 left to go. Chipper was about 7 lbs over for a beagle, but right on for the basset side of him.

Okay, along comes Casie, my problem child. He started out at 24.8, and was very skinny. Then before his latest surgery he was at 23.9, okay skinny but sick. Now I can see his spine, he shoulder blades and his hips (pelvic) bone. But I don't have a scale at home. The vets say he is okay, but he doesn't have any fat on him to keep him warm, in the SD winters. I want to put 2 lbs on him at least....not fat, just fill him out a little. He hasn't reached maturity level yet, he is more like a 9 month old that a 15 month old...so how much should he weigh.... I know I am still reeling from seeing Chipper decline so in weight, and it worries me..but this little guy comes in from 5 mins outside and is shivering like crazy, even with his coat on.

Any ideas?

Cathy J

·
Registered
400 Posts
Cathy,
There are some great charts out there to help you gauge Casie's weight health. Here's one that came up when I google'd:

http://www.placervillevet.com/canine body condition.htm

If he's still 23.9 lbs, he could use a few more to get him through the cold winters. 23.9 can be a bit on the light side for a male 13. Java's a little skinny himself, and he's about 26lbs for a 13 15 month old. Good luck! I'm sure feeding him more won't be much of a struggle

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
A Bassett/Beag will most likely weigh more than that! And age
is a factor to determine weight as well. Goober in his prime
was a pure-bred beag, but he exeeded the height limit by about
3 inches & weighed-in @ about 45 lbs! (He was a super beag)!
But after nearly 16 &1/2 years when he died he weighed 30#,s &
was barely 16 inches tall! Nibbler, Pop,s 14inch tall beag is
about 30#,s & a little heavy for his size. (Do the rib check),
as you should be able to feel your dogs ribs as you stroke
their side with some ease...but if all you feel is ribs then
the poor hound is underweight!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Jethro is growing fast now that he is rid of the round & hook-
worms! (He was a rescue in sorts as the hookworms nearly
killed him)! His breeders have been very successful in breeding
beags for 40 yrs...but Jethro is now rid of them nasty things
& is my vets new favourite patient! He is soo much like Goober
that I might have a tough time getting him back from them
before they get their turn walking him in the nearby park like
they did with Goober! (Beagles are too cute for their own good)!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Casie is 15 months, but very immature physically and mentally. He is more like a 9 month old...I've looked up some other charts on beagle weight, and he can be as much as 26#. so I am aiming for around 24- 25 for him. He's supposed to be a 15 beagle, but unless he grows tremendously he'll be about 14....you can see and feel his ribs, pelvic bone and shoulder bones...not good. I am hoping that now he is on regular food after his stomach surgery that we can get that weight up and he won't look so starved...and not fly away with the ears in the wind.

Cathy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.