Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! It's been a little while since I updated so I thought I should!

A few months ago we saw another new vet. We'd heard great things about this one and he had connections with the Vet School at Auburn University (a place one vet had suggested we go). Anyway, this new vet actually got on the phone with a neurologist and internist from Auburn and had them watch Daisy's videos while he was on the phone with them. I was so grateful.

The neurologist was fairly certain that her problem is not neurological, which is good. Some time before this I had spoken with Deb (Debannib) and she suggested that it could be acid reflux. The vet was not completely convinced because no damage showed up to her throat in her endoscopy. However he didn't rule it out and mentioned it to the internist. They seemed to think it could be a possibility and that that could be causing all her licking and could be why eating grass helped her. Anyway, they suggested keeping her on a low dose of the Temaril-P and adding in a dose of Pepcid. With that we also put her on a Prescription dog food that's very bland and meant to help tummy issues.

Daisy has been doing really well!! I don't really think that the source of the problem has been fixed, but the symptoms have definitely improved. She hasn't had a full blown episode in months and the one little one she did have didn't last more than 10 or 15 mins. She is still very congested sounding in her sinuses but definitely seems to be doing better. I'm going to probably slowly start taking her off of the Temaril P so that she's only on the Pepcid and special food and see how she does.

Our vet also suggested that a sinus x-ray could be helpful. For the most part that's the only part we haven't really looked at. It is possible that she's got some kind of a polyp or something in her sinuses that causes drainage and the drainage could be causing an acid reflux type symptom. The internist at Auburn said that it's possible the reason her episodes were lasting so long is that the mucus/acid that was coming up was getting caught behind her soft pallet, making her feel like she couldn't get it swallowed down.

So anyway, I guess the bottom line is that Daisy is doing better but we still haven't gotten directly to the source I don't think. But I feel like we're on the right track!! Thank you for all of your prayers!!!
And thank you from Daisy too!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That's great to hear Erin. I'm glad that Daisy is showing some signs of improvement. It sounds like you've got a great vet. Are you going to do the x-ray of her sinuses? It does seem like the congestion could be the reason. I know when my sinuses are stuffed up and I get post nasal drip that it upsets my stomach sometimes. It makes sense that something similar could be happening with Daisy. I hope you find out what is causing her problems, but in the meant time it's great to hear that she's doing better.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Great to hear that Daisy is showing signs of improvement. Like Jen, I also have sinus problems. I went through a 3-month period of extreme nausea caused by post-nasal drip. Our pups seem to be able to get anything humans can get so seems perfectly reasonable that Daisy could have a similar problem.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We will most likely do the x-ray of her sinuses at some point. Sorry Jason and I have been so scarce around here! We were gone for a couple of weeks at Christmas and then we just got back from a week in Puerto Rico. My brother got married down there.
His wife is from there and most of her family still lives there. But I will definitely keep you all posted when we get her x-ray!

Judy/Jen- We're really thinking it could be something like that causing her problems... so hopefully an x-ray would show that!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts