Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started giving Daisy Authority Harvest Baked Chicken Puppy Food on Friday. Today her poops are really runny. She is able to control them, so it's not out of control diarrhea, but it's still concerning. Do you think it's just switching from PurinaOne Puppy food to the Authority? This is what I am feeding her.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Did you do it gradually? Usually when you switch foods, it's best to do it before the "old" one runs out, and then during a few days, just gragually increase the quantity of the "new" food and decrease the "old" food. Let her be for a few days and see if it gets better. If not, go back to what worked.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I agree with Chloe's Mommy that it may well be the switch of food rather than the food itself... a lot of dogs have runny poop for a bit when they switch and doing it gradually definitely helps make a smooth transition. I wouldn't worry if things "firm up" over the next few days - it sounds like it isn't out of control diarrhea so it may well just be the change of food.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Feed her a little canned pumpkin for a few days. (plain - not the pie filling kind). It will get her firmed up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by DaisyTheDevilDog:
Feed her a little canned pumpkin for a few days. (plain - not the pie filling kind). It will get her firmed up.
Canned pumpkin is an absolute miracle when it comes to doggie regularity. We feed our two dogs a little with every morning meal, and they both have very healthy doodie.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did do it gradually, or so I thought. Maybe it wasn't gradual enough. I'll try the pumpkin thanks!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
On those rare occasions when we do have "poopy problems", I always use a little canned pumpkin. They all love it, doesn't hurt them if they're the wrong "poopers" - and helps if they are the ones with problems. With ten dogs, it's difficult to tell "who's doing what" unless I can "catch them in the act". I try to keep canned pumpkin around all the time "just in case".

·
Registered
295 Posts
It also works for constipation.
-------------
"If your dog or cat is having the occasional case of constipation or diarrhea, one of the things that might help is canned pumpkin. Yes canned pumpkin in its pureed form (NOT pumpkin pie filling) is a fantastic stool softener which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. It often helps with upset stomach or indigestion for both cats and dogs. It is very rich in fibre and adding just one or two teaspoonfuls to your pet's food often gets the system moving in no time. Dogs will occasionally want to eat it directly and that's fine too. Sometimes though, finicky cats and dogs won't touch it no matter what you do.

On the opposite end of things is diarrhea. Since the dietary fibre in canned pumpkin absorbs water, it can be a great help to a cat or dog that has diarrhea. Some pet owners report that it firms up their pet's loose stools or diarrhea within a few hours. Again one to two teaspoonfuls is all that is needed.

It should be noted that both diarrhea and constipation can both be very serious and require immediate veterinary care depending on the cause. Whatever the cause, diarrhea or constipation lasting more than 24-36 hours requires vet care. "

1 - 11 of 11 Posts