Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I live in the West Midlands, UK with my one year old Cavalier King Charles called Benji. I'm looking to get a beagle to keep him company during the day while i'm out at work, but i wanted to do my research first and who better to ask than beagle owners like yourselfs.

Look forward to chatting to you all soon.

Kerry

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Welcome! A beag is a fine choice to pair with an elder dog, as they have been bred to work as a team! Beags also do very well by themselves but the "elder-younger" team has been very successful for us! Goober my nearly 16 yr old beag has done nearly "too good of a job" of teaching my nearly 6 yr old "Homer-the-Huge" mix-breed hound all of his "tricks"! And the same can be said of Pop's nearly 12yr old mini-beag Rufus & nearly 8 yr old Nibbler! IE: Goober has always slapped the cabinet door to where the "bickies" are kept after his breakfast & dinner if I did not serve him soon enough...& Homer quickly learned to do the same thing as well! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif :biglaugh:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm sure Benji would enjoy a beagle buddy. My beagle has never met a dog he didn't like. Beagles are very pack oriented. Might I suggest rescuing an adult beagle. They seem to fit in really well. Anyway, welcome to Beagle World and I hope you get the answets your looking for.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
It might be best to consider a female beagle, neutered, to keep Benji company. Some males dont get on with other males. Of course if you could take a rescue it would be great. Good luck and keep us informed as to what you decide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for you kind welcomes. It's great to be here. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
I just wanted to find out more about this lovely breed really, you read so many things, it's difficult to know what you read is true. I attend training classes with Benji, and done for a few months now - he is doing so well. My aim is to eventually be-able to walk him off the lead (although judging by this morning, not sure if this is ever going to happen!), is this something you can do with your beagles? I've also heard they howl quite abit, I know every dog is different - but has anyone had any experience of this? Benji is still very much of a playful puppy, he is nearly 13 months and has so much engery at the moment - I just can't keep up. Personally i don't think a rescue is for me, I'd have to get a puppy - and yes, I would have a female.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
No no no no no, a beagle is definitely not a bread for off leash walks.
They are scent hounds and tend to follow their noses when they pick up a scent. Once they do that, they usually zone out (no hear no see), and unless they "wake up" on their own, they might actually find themselved someplace they don't know and you will find yourself calling shelters...
If it's a confined area, its great... :thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not even well trained beagles? I've heard in another breed if you buy a dog from a non-working family, or a few generations of non-working dogs - they tend to lose their instint a little?

I'm really looking for a small-med dog, short hair, trainable, to frigten any buglars(!!) and good with children. Is this not the beagle? They are just gorgeous dogs, from puppies to adulthood, so cutie!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Look, I know people who let their beagle off leash, and I also know one that had a female beagle, very well behaved 1.5 years old, that saw or scented something outside the park, and followed it, and unfortunately got hit by a car. She died.
I can also tell you that there are beagles, especially rescues, that are so attached to their owners, that they don't leave them for more than 30 ft off leash.
It very much depends on the dogs personality and their trainability, but I wouldn't take the chance.

About protecting from burglars, it changes between the beagles, some are more alert than the others. My Chloe only barks or howls when she senses or hears a sudden loud noise. Other than that she is very quiet.

They are excellent with children and are adorable and sweet from puppyhood to adulthood! And they L-O-V-E to be with their pack (family)... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Beagles are hunting hounds... but unless they are trained from their youth to do so, you will have a tough time chasing-down a young hound distracted by a scent that they are "genetically bred to pursue"! It takes a lot of "field-training" to get a "true hunter"! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif But training a beag to guard your home is very easy!
(The bigger the family the better)! As beags are not just "hunting-hounds"... But they can also be trained to be "bird-dogs" & even "sniff-out" big-game! But their "best-task of late" is finding the warmest spot to snuggle-up to you! (On the couch, Goober snuggles up to my left side as I give him a neck scratch)! A beag will put his/her life in danger to alert their "family" to a threat! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by KerryL:

I'm really looking for a small-med dog, short hair, trainable, to frigten any buglars(!!) and good with children. Is this not the beagle? They are just gorgeous dogs, from puppies to adulthood, so cutie!
Sm-med size--check; short hair--check; trainable--check (in spite of what you may read!); watchdog--check (he may not be able to fight off the bad guys, but he'll sure let you know they're there!); good with children--check; gorgeous dogs--double check!!
I think a beagle would go well with your little Benji. (Cavalier King Charles are beautiful dogs too!!) Though I would agree that it might be a good idea to get a female buddy for Benji. When we got Shiloh, we had 2 poodles, male and female. She bonded instantly with our boy, Coco, but she and our girl Misty hated each other till the day Misty died! I've often watched people walking down the street, their unleashed dogs trotting peacefully at their side, and longed to be able to do that too. But I'm afraid it is not to be, at least not with Shiloh. Beagles have a very strong scent drive, and once they get on a good scent, they block out most everything else. And can get themselves into trouble. I never took Shiloh to obedience classes, though, and probably a well-trained beagle would have better recall than she does. (I would certainly hope so! :eyes: ) But I know that a lot of people in the group who have trained their dogs rather than been trained by their dogs-- /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif --won't let their dog off leash.
If you haven't visited the page called Beagle Discussion, you might want to go there too. Lots of us only visit that section regularly.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW! This forum is certainly a great place for you to learn all about beagles. I would second Genie's suggestion to check out the "Discussion" section. There are all sorts of topics that can help you decide if a beagle is the best companion for Benji.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Welcome to our pack!!!

You have been given some good advice.

I am down the road from you in Worcester.

I have three beagles, Caleb 4, Foxy 3, and Gwenni nearly one!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
DO'h! I neglected to mention that Goober is (retired) @ being nearly 16 yrs old! But that does not stop him from joining Homer in "sounding the alarm" when a stranger enters our property! :thumbup: Beagles are one of the eldest breeds domesticated by man, & most "like" them...They "can" be like a canine version of "Grandpa Simpson"! Seniour beags have a lot of love to give & can become a "pest" like a puppy... but, "your time with them is uncertain"...Soo the best choice is to make their seniour years comphortable & extend their life with vitamins & proper nutrition. :thumbup Goober has been an "Uberhound" by living so long & "refusing to admit his age" by ignoring the "doggie-steps" I purchased for him last year! (He still insists on jumping up on my bed w/o any assisstance)! :thumbup: /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Welcome!
It all depends on their personalities. I saw really quiet beagles in the dog park. Charlie only barks when neighbor dogs bark, unfortunately, we do have quite a few here. And he is stubborn at times. When he thinks a certain dog in the park bothers him, irritates him, then he will bark non stop! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
Keep in mind they do bark quite LOUD! People at the dog park usually taken surprise by the size of him...26lb only, louder than a german shepard.
The arrrooing is quite cute, I'm beginning to like it. Everytime he hears the siren, he'll arrroooo along. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
Not all dogs are perfect, you just have to love their not so perfect side of them too. Over all, they are sweet and loving loyal doggie.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to BW! It's great to have you here. My last dog was a Beagle/Cavalier mix (mom was a Beagle, daddy a Cavalier). She was such a sweet, kind little dog (well, not so little...she had some weight issues!). The only other breed of dog I'd ever have besides a Beagle is a Cavalier. I just love them! Can we see some pictures of Benji?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts