Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG! Charlie chew another hole in the leather sofa!!
He chewed through the cover into the sofa.
Boy, my husband is mad! He scolded Charlie, he hide behind me legs. My husband said he is not going to replace the sofa, unless replacing Charlie. I better shut up! :freak:
How many times do I have to mend the sofa!

Charlie mom

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Oh Dear Charlie!! We went through that when ours were little. Just know that they do outgrow it. I hope your hubbie can hold his temper until Charlie gets over this destructive phase. He is still just a Beagle pup.

How about if you get some sort of a heavy duty pad to go on the couch? Maybe made out of a heavy duty padded material?? Have you been using Bitter Spray? Maybe keep him in a pen unless you are able to watch him at all times. We kept ours in a pen when we were not at home.

Here is their pen that kept them out of a lot of trouble:

·
Registered
540 Posts
We don't have a leather sofa, so have not had that particular problem; however the greyhound next door loves leather and ate a huge hole in my neighbors brand new leather easy t.v. chair. They now have it covered with canvass. Perhaps when you get a new sofa, you will look into something other than leather. We plan to get new sofa and chairs, but not until the girls are almost 3 and new carpet at 2-1/2. They will ourgrow much of this, but the greyhound next door is 5 and loves anything leather...belts, shoes and obviously furniture.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Oh dear, what a pain. We have never bought new couches as for the past 30 years have had beagles! Leather is about the worst choice, or anything that shows scratches. I wouldnt replace your couch until Charlie has grown up unless you crate him when left alone. Hope your hubby calms down.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Mom of 2!!! Your pen is absolutely charming! Now I want husband to build one just because it's so cute! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have forgotten about the bottle of bitter spray in my cabinet. I used it on the hole now so Charlie won't keep pulling stuff out.
I usually watch him like a hawk, if I'm not home I crate him or in the yard or even the garage depending of the length of time I'll be away.
Last night I few of my goods friends came over and visit my daughter since she just had her surgery. I had my guards down for maybe an hour or so.
I have ordered a pet alarm pad to put on the sofa. I'll see if it will help. It suppose to sound out a loud sound when touched by his paws from climbing up, just to scare him away.
As you can see another gadget money spent on him unexpectedly. Oh Charlie, hope you grow out of this real soon, hubbie is nagging.
See it was really his idea of getting another dog beside Marlin, and now this!

Charlie mom
Rhoda

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It came in the mail today and it is working!!!
Charlie is not getting on the couch instead he is just barking at the foot of it. Fantastic, that can also avoid him from lunging himself at the window when seeing another dog, and almost take my curtain down. :biglaugh:
It is call Sofa Scram, I bought it through DrsFoster. My hubbie will be happy at least.

Charlie mom

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Charlie's Mom: Very good and inovative thinking. Sometimes we have to outwit our naughty Beagles. I'm so glad you were able to find something and order it and that it works!!! Keep us posted. Tell Hubbie to just calm down. ha ha No, I know how it is. My hubbie used to throw fits about what Sadie and Pooh did when they were puppies. This puppy stage will pass. Don't buy another leather couch though!!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Beags Mom: My Hubbie built that pen in less than 30 minutes. It was real easy. He doesn't do things real professionally, but he can build just about anything that is functional. You can share the picture of it with anyone you want.

We put a separate piece of carpet that was larger than the pen at the bottom. This is so they would not ruin the carpet in that room. Then we put their blankets and toys in the pen. Also a bowl of water. They actually loved their pen. We knew they were safe and happy when we went to work.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mom of 2 beagles, I've seen your pen when you first posted it, we can find no space that is suitable and no handy person to built it. I love your pen very much.
The gadget is really on a trial basic, Charlie can outwit anything. He is now trying out his boundaries, pretty soon I'm afraid, that will become one of his toy! haha :biglaugh: :greendevil:

Charlie mom

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Charlies Mum

I really feel for you. Cant remember how old Charlie is but I am sure he is young. Caleb is now three and up until about 2 and a quarter he was an absolute ****, destructive and chewy, I could'nt take my eyes off him for a moment, he goes round looking for things to do grab and run with, he loves anything leather, like shoes and purses and will steal my leather purse out of my handbag (just call him the artful beagle).

I am sorry your poor couch got chewed again, Caleb has'nt chewed anything like that but everything else is fair game. Glasses. mobile phones, post, books, clothes. tea towels. toys. I even caught him once picking my car keys out the key bowl and he was standing holding the leather key fob with the keys swinging from his mouth!!!!!!

They do get better, my girls are not as chewy as him, he is one man band beagle and is a real character and is a gobby little boy to boot with lots to say! Good job I love him so much or I would have strangled him by now!

Mom of 2 beags. I have seen your pen before and think its neat, but if I put Caleb in there he'd chew the wood!!!!

He goes in a crate when I am out or he would be a tasmanian devil whirring through the house cherwing things. He slipped the crate door open once and I was out for an hour, he woofed at me like crazy when I came back in and he had got my work diary and shredded it into a million pieces, overturned the bin and had been in the bath room and shredded the loo roll everywhere.

I do sympathise, all you can do is keep a close eye on Charlie, I use a water spray bottle to dissuade any grab and run attempts....

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Have you tried the empty coke can? You take an empty aluminum coke can and put 4 or 5 pennies in in and tape the hole shut. I shake this can when my doggies are barking at the neighbor doggies and say No. This is the only thing that stops them from barking at neighbor doggies. I was thinking you could put a few of these on your couch. Put them in places so if Charles goes near or touches the couch the can could fall and make a rattle sound. Mine hate that rattle sound.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:biglaugh:
Some I just threw away without a trace where my hubby can see. :hi:

Charlie mom
Rhoda

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Oh silly Charlie! I feel your pain though! Lucky is only a year and 8 months. He still chews everything he can get his paws on. We don't have a leather couch though. When we first bought the couch, he peed on it because he was way too excited & we weren't paying attention to him. He loves to squat and pee when he feels we are ignoring him (he doesn't do this anymore though).

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh Thanks, I'll change immediately!
I give him lots and lots of rawhide!
What else can I give him beside rawhide, bones?
Or maybe greenies...his poop is green :hi:

Charlie mom

·
Registered
786 Posts
Try giving him either bully sticks, flossies or I've even bought at the grocery store the shin bones. These are the ones in the pet food isle. My girls love them, even to this day they still gnaw on them. Sometimes I will put peanut butter inside them.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Did it again, eh, Charlie? Tch..tch.. :nono5:

But I'm sitting here laughing at the mental picture of a hole-ridden leather sofa and Charlie sitting beside it with that I'm-sorry-Mom-but-I-just-couldn't-help-it-and-I-can't-promise-you-this-will-be-the-last-time look on his face.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts