Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ben rolled in poop the other day - as he has been known to do and now he has an ear infection in his left ear.

I cleaned all the crap out of it (literally) and that was pretty gross. But he is itchy and irritated. I started him on the little bit of Canaural I had left over from the last infection, but not enough for the full course, so I hope the vet will just represcribe. She usually does.

Why must they roll in poop?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Our female rolls in our tortoises poop
it's such a pain because then she needs a bath..ugh. I hope Ben's ear feels better soon!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
They are beagles, so they must roll!!! Molly rolls in all sorts of things. Lucky for me one thing she likes to roll in is my perfume when the mist hits the floor!

I try to keep all their ears clean all the time. I do an ear inspection when I brush teeth. The ear cleaning pads from the pet store work well.

·
Registered
847 Posts
That's nothing, Bodie was rolling in fresh cow-patties last weekend while at the Field Trials. He was a mess with a nice ripe aroma to him. You should of seen (and smelled) the greenish-brown water while bathing him afterwards. It took two soap downs to clean him.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would love it if Ben rolled in perfume!

He was covered with the poop. It was all over his back and caked onto his face and stuck in his ear and mushed into his harness and collar buckle. It smelled awful. He got an extra long shower that night with two shampoos.

He did this in the fall as well - that time it was just a few hours before I was to drop him off at our friend's house for a few days while we were on vacation. Come to think of it, he developed his last ear infection just after that episode.

His ear infection is clearing up nicely. I usually just give his ears a quick wipe with Avena Sativa to keep them clean - but I think with the caked in poop the infection was inevitable!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Beagles are attracted to smelly things more than most dogs. Sometimes I think its to cover there own scent to go undercover.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry to crash this thread, but i just have a small question after reading that ben has an ear infection. How do you know if they have an ear infection? Because one of Aces ears (right i think) has dirt right inside and sorta smells, and sometimes i catch him stratchin at that ear, and im sure he doesnt have fleas. Just wondering whether i should take him down to the vet or whether i shouldnt worry.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Originally Posted By: Ace & SamSorry to crash this thread, but i just have a small question after reading that ben has an ear infection. How do you know if they have an ear infection? Because one of Aces ears (right i think) has dirt right inside and sorta smells, and sometimes i catch him stratchin at that ear, and im sure he doesnt have fleas. Just wondering whether i should take him down to the vet or whether i shouldnt worry.
Sounds like an ear infection to me. Maya also shakes her head a lot when she has an infection and she rubs the side of her head on the carpet. I would suggest a visit to the vet just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sounds like Ace has an ear infection. I can tell almost immediately when Ben has one b/c he start to scratch at the ear and shake all the time. There is also some dirt build up in the ear.

You should probably take Ace into the vet if this is his first ear infection.

Ben is all better now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.