Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were thinking about getting another dog to give Scout someone to play with and because we can't always spend lots of time with her. We don't want another beagle. I'm wondering if anyone here found a particular breed of dog that seems to be more compatible with beagles that others. We don't have a big yard, so we're not interested in a big dog, and we're kind of hoping the new dog will be something of a calming influence on Scout, so another high strung dog isn't going to work. Any words of wisdom?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
How about a basset hound? We just added a basset/beagle mix to our pack of 2 beagles and he is much calmer and wears out faster. Bassets are a bit on the lazy side and in my experience a bit calmer.

Or, if you are interested, how about rescuing an older dog?

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
i know you said no big dogs but what about a greyhound? they are pretty huge, yes but their SOOOO calm and lazy lol and their really sweet dogs

The problem is that most small dogs are really hyper mainly because most are terriers.

If you can find one a clumber spaniel is great, small, calm, lazy.

I'd go with a basset or a greyhound as their easier to find, or like you suggest an older dog.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you want a calm dog, danes are really calm. I know you said you don't want a big, but danes really don't need that much space - honestly! They are perfectly content laying on the couch or a bed or a floor...

They run around for 5 minutes then sleep for 2 days.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Honestly, I would try the shelter. Because of the economy, lots of people are giving up very loving, well socialized family pets. And shelters are offering lots of good specials and prices, especially with older dogs, something like 5+ years of age. If you found a dog with a good disposition you could bring Scout by for a visit, and if you were dealing with an owner surrender, you might have some good information about energy level and behavior. And you could always try breed rescues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts