Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the Dog Food thread and found it VERY interesting. One thing I am still wondering is do you give your beagle dry food, wet food, or a combo of both? When we got Snoopy a month ago she was eating Purina Puppy Chow from her previous owner. She wouldn't eat at all for us and after 3 days, I broke down and mixed it with a little bit of wet food. She has been eating pretty well since then but still nothing great. This week I have been gradually switching her over to Authority Harvest Baked since I could buy it at Pet Smart and it was rated pretty high. But she still won't touch it without some wet food mixed in. Is this OK or should I try to get her to eat just dry food?

Thanks for the advice!

Jami and Snoopy

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I feed dry. I don't like the poop when Chloe has canned food, it smells much more and is too soft.

You can try adding a little bit of warm water to the dry food, let it sit for a minute or two and then feed it to her. It gets the fats off the food to that it gets absorbed better and it smells better (to them anyway). Most dogs go crazy over it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I feed dry exclusively. Like Eleanor said, I also don't feed Banjo wet food for the same reasons.

Maybe she just hasn't found out what she likes?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't feed my beagle wet usually because he's happy with anything he gets. However, I do add canned to one of my shepherds food because she is picky like yours. I've never had an issue with it.

My other shepherd eats canned exclusively because she is fed via gastrostomy tube. Never had an issue with her either.

In theory (depending on the quality of food) canned should be better for them as it has less grains and more meat.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I used to do a combo of both wet with dry. Jersey used to be too fussy to eat her food dry. Then, a month or so ago, she didn't want to eat again. I kept trying different brands of canned food trying to find one that Jersey liked. I finally gave up and just gave her the Innova alone. She ate it without any problems and I haven't needed to put can in with it since.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I give my dogs dry kibble exclusively - except for some home cooked and/or BARF. They rarely get table scraps, but I sometimes do cook for them - especially if I have a pregnant or nursing mommy who is a little off her food. Then they get doggie stew mixed with their kibble - but not much of that even (except for the mommy). Dry food is better for their teeth. They all love it when I make doggie stew for them - but it's not an all the time thing. Rice, cooked with either chicken, hamburger - or have used a little round steak, veggies (green beans, yams or sweet potatoes and carrots are good choices for veggies). For 9 dogs, even just mixing a little with kibble is just not practical. Occasionally if one is a little off (which is VERY rare), they might get a tablespoon of cottage cheese or yogurt mixed with the kibble, but never canned food. They're all healty and happy, and we've had very few tooth problems with any of my dogs. They do occasionally get a raw meaty bone - which they all love.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts