Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... Daisy's having problems again. She was off of the Temaril P for two weeks before it started. And in the last month or so she's had 3-4 episodes. It seems like whatever is happening isn't being fixed by the pepcid and bland diet alone. The other morning I was getting ready to go to work and she started having an episode. I ended up staying at the house with her for a while. She seemed to settle down so I went to work. When I came home at lunch to check on her she had thrown up all over the place... food, hair, mucus...
I called the vet and we're both pretty much at a loss.

We're going to switch her to an allergen free food because the vet said it's possible that a good allergy could be causing her problems.

We've got to give her 2 months before we can say whether it helps or not. If it doesn't help we don't know what next step is except to put her back on the Temaril P, which I don't really want to do because of the prednisone.

Anyway, thanks for listening!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Daisy girl! It must be so frustrating to not know what her problem is. I hope the allergen free food helps her. I'll add her to my list for some happy thoughts!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am sorry. I know this must be a constant worry for you. I hope you are able to find a solution.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. The support here is wonderful!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I can just imagine how frustraing this can be. I have been doing some reading of your past posts but since I was gone for awhile, I have probably missed some things so what I suggest, you may have already tried. First, make sure there is absolutely NO CORN products in her food - corn can be an allergen to some dogs. Second - is she having any trouble with itchy skin? My sister has 2 West Highland White Terriers - she has been involved with this breed for 30 years and she talks with other Westie owners online - Westies are notorious for skin allergies and some are even allergic to grass. You mentioned that sometimes when Daisy vomits, there is hair in it. Is she chewing on herself at all - maybe pulling hair then swallowing it? I wonder if the hair is what is irritating her tummy? One of the Westies she has now has terrible problems with skin allergies and gets a prednisone shot once a month that really helps. Also, in between the shots, my sis will also bathe her using Selsun Blue shampoo - this has helped and her hair is growing back some. Were the sinus x-rays done? I was wondering about the congestion you said Daisy has sometimes - I saw a show on Emergency Vets one time, they had a Beagle there that sounded congested and was having trouble breathing - does Daisy go out and sniff around in the yard alot? On the show they finally put a tube down the dog's nose with a little camera on it - sure enough, the dog had sniffed something in it's nose and all the sneezing and head shaking the dog did, would not get debris out of the nose and the vet had to remove it. After that, the dog was fine. I don't know if sinus x-rays would show this.

Whatever is going on, I hope Daisy is better soon - prayers for you and Daisy.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally Posted By: Kim'n the Beaglebratz
I can just imagine how frustraing this can be. I have been doing some reading of your past posts but since I was gone for awhile, I have probably missed some things so what I suggest, you may have already tried. First, make sure there is absolutely NO CORN products in her food - corn can be an allergen to some dogs. Second - is she having any trouble with itchy skin? My sister has 2 West Highland White Terriers - she has been involved with this breed for 30 years and she talks with other Westie owners online - Westies are notorious for skin allergies and some are even allergic to grass. You mentioned that sometimes when Daisy vomits, there is hair in it. Is she chewing on herself at all - maybe pulling hair then swallowing it? I wonder if the hair is what is irritating her tummy? One of the Westies she has now has terrible problems with skin allergies and gets a prednisone shot once a month that really helps. Also, in between the shots, my sis will also bathe her using Selsun Blue shampoo - this has helped and her hair is growing back some. Were the sinus x-rays done? I was wondering about the congestion you said Daisy has sometimes - I saw a show on Emergency Vets one time, they had a Beagle there that sounded congested and was having trouble breathing - does Daisy go out and sniff around in the yard alot? On the show they finally put a tube down the dog's nose with a little camera on it - sure enough, the dog had sniffed something in it's nose and all the sneezing and head shaking the dog did, would not get debris out of the nose and the vet had to remove it. After that, the dog was fine. I don't know if sinus x-rays would show this.

Whatever is going on, I hope Daisy is better soon - prayers for you and Daisy.
Daisy doesn't really have itchy skin too much, although sometimes she chews at her feet. The hair that she spits up is probably because during these episodes she frantically licks the floor, carpet, etc. I think that's where she picks up the hair.

We did sinus x-rays a few weeks ago and everything looked great. And the vet also checked her esophagus and lungs on the x-ray as well. Also, last year we had an endoscopy done. They put the camera down her throat and also looked in the back of her nose. Again, everything looked great. And yes, she does A LOT of sniffing in the yard. However this has been going on since we got her, and there we lived in an apartment. There wasn't too much for her to get in to because she was always on a leash outside. And she really doesn't do a lot of sneezing either...

Right now her food is supposedly allergen free, but I'm still switching her over and the vet said give it at least 2 months. From what I've read online we probably need to give it more like 3 months to really see if it makes a difference.

Thank you so much responding to my post. And thank you everyone for trying to help me and my Daisy girl!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts