Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're thinking about crate training Lola as she still pees inside. My question is this: we have one crate, and right now don't have the moolah or the incentive to buy a second. How will Lola be if she's in a crate but Luigi isn't?

·
Registered
421 Posts
mine do ok that way for short-ish periods of time. more than an hour and the crated one whines. you realize, you don't have to buy a new crate? we got a large crate in brand new condition off of craig's list for $20. i have also seen people giving them away on freecycle or even in the free section on craig's list.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally Posted By: SmeagleWhat have you tried doing to teach her to pee outside? What sort of a schedule do you have her on for toilet trips?
basically, whenever she wakes up...And we're going to start putting her out after she eats now too.

·
Registered
504 Posts
When Lace was older and able to go outside, my parents got another beagle and crate trained her. What helped us was, putting the crate in the kitchen, and putting a baby gate up for Lace, so she was out, but in the same area as Cocoa so she still had company.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yep, definitely check freecycle and craigslist. We've had several on our local freecycle.

When we had to retrain JoJo after we adopted her, it just helped to take her outside at predictable times. Crating did help a lot, especially at night. When we weren't crating at night and she'd sleep on the bed with us, she'd just get up and go pee in the corner and come back to bed. Crating has helped tremendously! Now that she's housetrained, she even goes in there at random times to take a nap (like right now...).

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: Luigi88
Originally Posted By: SmeagleWhat have you tried doing to teach her to pee outside? What sort of a schedule do you have her on for toilet trips?
basically, whenever she wakes up...And we're going to start putting her out after she eats now too.
I would step it up and take her out every time she wakes up from a nap, after she has been playing, after a walk, after she's has a drink, after she's eaten. Take her out every hour or so. It might be a PITA to start with, but in the long run once it clicks in her head to go outside to toilet it will be worth it!

You can also try teaching her the 'ring the bell' trick where you hang a bell to the back door and teach her to ring it when she wants to go outside.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How do I teach my dog the ring the bell trick? I'd love to try something like that with Abby...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: Abby 01/15/09How do I teach my dog the ring the bell trick? I'd love to try something like that with Abby...
Here's an article on how to do it, you can do it without the clicker just by using a marker word like 'yes' (same principle as clicking) but you will have to make sure the dog knows what the click or marker word means before attempting to train anything (that is, that the click/marker means a treat is coming). You can find loads of clicker training articles on the net and there is a link to one in bell ringing article here:

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1171

Here's a video of a puppy (keeshond) learning 'ring the bell':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gjW8Neb-2c&feature=channel_page

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I got Charlie crate from a pet's thrift store. Came home clean and scrub it. I forgot how much but Charlie would not leave it.
Yes, I also train Charlie will the bells, works perfect only too often sometimes. Beagles are very smart, couple of times they got it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Smeagle - thank you so much for the web links!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts