Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, everything is fine, so don't worry. As some of you know, we don't have a fence, so when Gage goes outside, he's on a leash. I took him outside, and he was having a great time, when all of a sudden this huge dog comes charging into our yard towards us and grabs Gage by his back. I yelled at it, and when it let go, I was able to him back inside. Fortunately, there weren't any puncture wounds, but he looked scared after the whole ordeal, and didn't like anyone touching his back for awhile.

Now that I think about it, the dog was probably just trying to play, since at his size, that bite could have done a lot of damage if he'd clampped down hard enough. At the time though, I thought he might get seriously hurt. I'm very glad he's okay.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Wow! That certainly is scary. I am glad Gage is fine. I am sure the big dog just wanted to play but you never know for sure. I know my brother's lab loves to bite Lucky's back but never hard. It is how he plays.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You must have been so scared! Poor Gage, that's very traumatic. I hope that dog stays far away.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have seen Summer nail a rabbit by the neck and with one shake snap its neck. Play? I think not. I would notify animal control of this ASAP. if it can happen once, what is to stop if from happening again.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The people who own him have kept him inside their yard for years, so I know it had to be some sort of accident. I did contact them about it and left my number so they could contact me back. He's not a stranger friendly animal (he's a guard dog) so they wouldn't knowingly let him roam loose. If something can't be set in place, that would be the next step though. I won't have anyone in this household be in danger at our own home.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Find out whose dog it is, tell the owner at least, dogs should not let out on the street unleash let alone in people's yard.
Charlie had a incident too in the dog park. a big dog, doberman of some kind, it was just playful, slammed right on Charlie. Charlie yelped really loud. Then I saw his right hind leg lifted up crying, limping around. I massaged right away, he seemed to be okay.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Keller,

Glad Gage is going to be OK. It is a terrible thought though. It doesn't take much time for a dog, especially a trained guard dog, to do its damage. I think you were both lucky, and for that I am thankful.

Always the ready for anything person that I am, I ALWAYS carry a cell phone and a hockey stick shaft which is weighted on the end, when I have the boys outside the fence. I don't know how a stray, malnurished or diseased dog will act around my dogs. Usually they will stay away. In the event one tries to get to close to us, the weighted stick will offer the protection necessary to defend myself and the boys.

I would encourage everyone to carry some kind of a stick to keep a stray dog at bay and away from you and your Beagle when walking. :thumbup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
While in Argentina, I would be in charge of walking the dog and I had to take a big stick with me because dogs are really dangerous down there. My grandma feeds a couple black GS that protect the house at night. One day a puppy came along and wanted me to love on her, but before she got to me, the black GS picked the pup up by the back of the neck, flipped her and threw her across the yard! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I ran out with the broom, but by then the puppy and the GS were gone. I later found the GS and yelled at her. I dont know if she knew that was wrong but she just looked at me. I will be very careful when Suzy goes down there. :angry:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Joe. I definitely know how lucky both of us were. The whole thing happened so fast, and certainily could have ended on a sad note. Great idea about the stick and cell. It is better to be overprepared, than under. As soon as we got inside, I started researching dog pepper spray, but a stick wouldn't need to be fumbled with, plus no chance of the wind blowing it in Gage or my eyes. It's not something I really thougt about since we were in our own yard, but of course dogs don't know where property lines begin and end.

Suzy's mumma, unfortunately, the dog probably didn't understand why you were upset since it was so long after the attack. I'll be sending good thoughts to you and Suzy and hoping for safety for you two (and everyone else here of course).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts