Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the dog park with Charlie today. Saw a beagle walking over to me, he seems very quiet not active at all, some what shy. Happened the person sat next to me is the caregiver, watching Seasus(his name) pronouce as shy us, told me that his owner adopted him from an agency who rescued him from an experimental foundation.
He was one of the experimental dog(beagles). I thought to myself OMG I thought they stop experimenting with dogs. This lady carried on saying, yes they stopped couple of years ago. Seasus is only 2 1/2, spent his puppy hood in a cage, that makes it very recent! You can do the math! So what is going on here.
Seasus just learned how to interact with other dogs, just learning how to play. The lady said he can go off leash and follows where ever you go unlike other beagles, because he doesn't know how to be a beagle. I bet he does not howl, I was overwhelmed and forgot to ask.
He is sweet as can be, loved to be patted, scatched, massage. He is under weigh still. Oh I would love to see him again. Hoping this lady will show up and still taking care of him.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hope you meet the little chap again. Eventually he will learn to be a beagle. Our two can almost be considered 'normal' after 3 years (next month) in freedom.
unfortunately beagles, and other animals, are used world wide in research. In Germany alone thousands are used, most of which get put to sleep after years of serving humans.We try to avoid products where dogs have been used, but its difficult as most firms producing products ranging from food to cleaning items have used animal research.

·
Registered
27 Posts
They haven't stopped at all. In fact, the number of beagles used in research actually went up in the last year. Here in Canada it was 9,500 dogs and in the US it was 69,000 dogs used in research.
It's awful and heartbreaking. I have a former research beagle myself, and it took years to train and socialize her.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i used to do construction at dupont's stien-haskell labratories in newark delaware. they used beagles when i was there, that was up until the mid 90's. they actually had quite a difficult time squelching a free the beagles campaign.

i want to ask about the howling (lack of)
my sophie almost never barks, and doesn't howl. she's very quiet and follows me where ever i go in the house. outside she follows her nose though. is that something to be concerned with? i know she can bark, she barked at the bunny when they first met. but she otherwise makes no noise.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Poor little boy! But once he gets with other beagles, they'll give him howling lessons. Casie didn't know how to howl arrooooooo either when he came to us. He just woofed...but after a couple of days with my big howler....he let out a AROOOOOOO heard through out the neighborhood. Just about scared my husband and I off our chairs! Now, where is his off button :eek:)

Cathy J

·
Registered
421 Posts
so then it's not something to be concerned with then?
if it's not a sign of a problem, i'd rather her stay quiet.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We adopted Li'l Girl when she was a year to 18 months old. There was no background info for her, although I'm sure she wasn't a research beagle.

My comment is on the arooing. It sounds unbelievable, but my baby didn't find her voice until this year. She'd done the chipping sound on a trail, barked, etc., but had never arooed. One day earlier in the year, she finally did it, and she has a beautiful voice.
Now, she's quite proud of it, and uses it pretty often. We've told the other dogs that they should just hum, and let Li'l Girl do the singing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts