Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/PuppyEyes.gif For the past two or three days, Shiloh has been scooting a little. Tonite he is walking around a little hunched over at times. He usually walks around with his tail outstretched a little or even out and up - especially when he is out in the bakyard. Now it is between his legs. Even in the bakyard, when he was running and barking - it was only straight out - not up at all. He did wag it a little. Last time I thought it was his anal glands, he turned out to have a sprained tailbone and when the vet went to lift his tail, Shiloh screamed so loud and almost took the vet's arm off. I am watching him to see what he does. Any ideas?

Also, Shiloh drinks, a lot. Anybody know what other signs of diabetes in dogs are or any other ideas? I know dogs will drink alot sometimes - any ideas are welcomed.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I would say that they might be due for a vet check up just to make sure that there is nothing serious going on. I was told to keep an eye on water intake because it can mean kidney trouble. I am sure it's not that but it would be worth getting it checked on.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What seems like excessive drinking is not new - it may just be the way he is but I am watching it. I don't think he drinks much at all when I am at work during the day. Everything else is working ok - he pottys fine and eats good. Both Shiloh & Shasta have got two of the shiniest coats I have seen on dogs. A few days ago I did switch from Nutro Chicken Meal & oatmeal to Nutro Lamb meal & rice. No other changes. When Shiloh was out in the bakyard, he was kinda acting like he was scared of something - he'd look at something far off and walk around with his tail down. I have also noticed something else - don't know if it's related - Shasta has got a couple of good areas in the yard dug out (dirt) - Shiloh will sometimes dig at it and eat the dirt - Shasta too.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shiloh is acting about the same this morning so will be going to the vet after work - does anyone know if worms could be the culpit? He acts fine just walking around with his tail down - there have been a couple of times he has turned his head towards his tail. A little while ago I let the Beaglebratz out after their breakfast - Shasta thought she saw something somewhere so took off running and barking - Shiloh followed, running/barking. (that was in the bakyard) He's not drinking as much as he did last nite.

Ok gotta get ready for work. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/gaah.gif Well we are off to our vet - it is only a couple of blocks away. Shiloh is clearly uncomfortable but he does run and bark - did have his tail in the air but in the house, it is down which is unusual for him. He poo'ed a couple times outside - whined a little while doing it. So yep, we are off. Bak later...........

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I'm anxious to hear the results of the vet trip; My Maggie had those symptoms with her glands. She also drank a lot of water because her glands set off urinary tract problems also.....what a mess ....her back-end has always been problematic. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bounce.gif

I'll be anxiously awaiting the news.....Good Luck

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/biggrin.gif Well still not sure what the problem is altho I have another idea. Anyway, at the vet - she did clean out the glands but she said that shouldn't be causing the problem - they weren't real bad. She also checked along his lower spine and tailbone to see if anything was painful = so far so good - no problems. She moved his tail all around - no problem. Checked other places for pain response - everything checked out fine. She said he did have a small irritated spot by one of his anal glands that might be bothering him a little but it is not anything to be really concerned with. She did give him some pain pills which he readily took one from her - without anything camoflaging it - and chewed it rite down. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol2.gif A little while ago I gave him a bit of a massage all over - no flinching anytime.

Now, as for my other idea - the Beaglebratz can get a little rough & rowdy when when they are running & playing-

and Shasta likes to use her big brother to play "let's ride a pony"-

So I'm wondering if any of this action mite be the culprit.

Ok, I NEED to get to bed /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/doh.gif Sorry this is so late - couldn't get here a little while ago. Oh, the vet said that if whatever is causing Shiloh to act the way he is, is not gone in the next couple of days then call back in and they may do an xray of the spine - but ya know - after looking at these pics, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he got bruised sometime.
Ok - time for bed.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Maybe he is consipated. From my experience when there is something wrong with a Beagle they will try to tell you by changing behavior. I would have said before the vet visit sounded like very full anal glands.

If you have changed food that could cause consipation. Pain pills cause humans to have "backed up plumbing". That is all I can think of.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Kim'n the Beaglebratz Anyway, at the vet - she did clean out the glands but she said that shouldn't be causing the problem - they weren't real bad.
So glad the vet visit went well! The reason I isolated the above is that even a teeny bit of "stuff" in Maggie's anal glands drove her nuts -- same exact symptoms that Shiloh was exhibiting, particularly that twisting around of the head to look at her rear end and, of course, the scooting. After months of weekly trips to the vet to have her glands expressed (and sometimes all that would come out was a drop -- other times they were filled with a thick, gray paste) and terrible irritation due to scooting on the carpet, I had her anal glands removed a couple of years ago. I debated long and hard due to the possible negative after-effects but she came through it like the trooper she is!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for reminding me about the contipation bit - I had not given much thought to that but when I watch and listen when Shiloh poo's, I do have to wonder. He really sounded in pain when I let him a little while ago and he had to poo. He is still acting about the same otherwise.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Kim, if the vet said he had an irritated spot by his gland, it COULD be an abcess. Remember, my Chloe went through abcesses on her anal glands several times - it was terribly painful for her - AND made her very sick. We finally decided that the best thing would be to have them removed. It was the best thing for her. The treatment for the abcesses was terribly painful for her (they were cauterized with iodine - then she was on antibiotics for a couple of weeks each time) - it took a week or so for her to recover from the surgery, but she's been so much better since then.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/PuppyEyes.gif The vet didn't say anything about an abscess - at least not yet. I am so confuzzled tonite - sometimes Shiloh's tail is a little higher and he acts like he feels better then other times, I don't see any improvement and almost wonder if there is something more bothering him. However I guess the fact that I am seeing signs of improvement, even if they only last maybe 15 minutes or so, is a good thing. Plus he is still eating/drinking normal and pottying normal are good signs. Also, he is not scooting like he was nor is he biting his tail as much. Tomorrow nite is usually our evening to visit the nursing home but even if he were back 100%+, I don't know that we would go - if he has been bruised or if it is arthritis, all he'd need is to get bumped by a wheelchair or accidentally kicked by 1 of the patient's and end up worse then he is now.

There is one thing that concerns me the most - when he poo's outside - he is still crying/whining. Anyone have any ideas - do you think I should contact the vet again (they are 24/7 - a vet is always on duty - they are not a strictly ER vet clinic). What kind of food mite help Shiloh with constipation? I have never encountered this problem with a dog.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Gosh Kim, that does sound kind of confusing. Did the vet do a rectal temperature on Shiloh, and did he react at all? I'm wondering about the possibility of internal doggie hemorrhoids...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't see anything to indicate a rectal temp was done and she didn't say anything about him having a temp - only talked about the glands were not impacted - they weren't that bad and did talk about a little area of irritation. Shiloh cried/whined a little when the anal glands were cleaned out but did not yell as usual. But like I said, there is some signs of improvement - even if they are short-lived.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Try an apple to help with the consipation. I have used it with Vinny. He takes 2 pills a day (Phenobarbatol and Tameril-P)and his plumbing backs up sometimes. Apple's have some fiber, no fat, low carb, and he likes them. Its worth a try.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif
Just talking to myself here really - had to talk somewhere, feel really frustrated. I may take Shiloh bak to the vet clinic after work - oh he's acting ok for the most part; he's eat/drinking/pottying ok - for the most part - especially the eating altho I'm not giving anymore than usual. However, when he poo's, he cries/whines terrribly. It breaks my heart listening to him and I just know my neighbors think I am committing some awful doggy abuse. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif This morning I added a little grated carrots and last nite, I added a little banana - I wonder if those make it worse. I will add some apple when I get home. I don't know if it is constipation or not - could be either the irritation or some type of muscular bruising in that area or it could be a combination or???????? All I know is my Shi-boy is in extreme pain when he poo's and I know he, as well as I, want it to stop. The stool is not large nor is it hard. They look about the same as always. I also think he holds it - he knows it is going to hurt when he finally does go so he holds it until absolutely have to.

Ok - bak to work - not sure I will be here at work all day - gonna be hard to concentrate.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor boy, I hope the cause can be found quickly. At times like this, it'd be nice if they could tell us just what hurts. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smack.gif

1 - 20 of 22 Posts