Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took Charlie in for his annual check up, comprehensive includes a deep teeth clean. Also asked for anal gland discharge, nails clip. Boy, he is not happy about it, but it is good for him. As the nurse guided him in, he gave me that beagle sad look. Mom please don't do it.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
its common in beagle to have anal gland problems its a glad that helps lubricate their rectum so the poop comes out easier, it also has a particular smell so they identify it as their own etc. etc. , somtimes some dogs anal glands aren't working properly and dont express, so you either have to regularly express the fluid yourself or allow a vet or groomer to. otherwise you'll notice the dogs discomfort AND them rubbing their bottom on everything. Theirs more to it but thats just the barebones info.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks. Is it just a beagle thing or would it affect my cocker aswell? Sorry guys, I know these are dumb questions but as mentioned I've never had my own dosg before so this is all new!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Originally Posted By: JoJo's MumThanks. Is it just a beagle thing or would it affect my cocker aswell? Sorry guys, I know these are dumb questions but as mentioned I've never had my own dosg before so this is all new!
From what I've been reading through google searches, most sites are saying it occurs in smaller breeds. I can't find anything that says it happens to this specific breed and not that breed, and so on..

I guess you would have to look at the signs that you would need to get it done for your dog.. such as excessive licking in the area and bum scooting across the floor.

Ask/call your vet if you're concerned, because they know your specific dog and what is right for them!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.