Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I know its been a long time since i have posted anything and figured i would share with and discuss with you something that i have been noticing.

I work as a delivery man, and as such i get to talk to alot of people. I meet all sorts of characters through out my travels and many if not most of them are nice people.

On my travels i have encounterd a few people that own beagles. Most of them are wounderful friends to there beagles. Unfortunately i have met a few other dog owners, that do not treat there beagle/hunting hounds right. These guys keep there beagles/hunting hounds in a kennel all year long, only going in to clean up and feed them and vet checks. Only bringing the beagle/hunting hound out of its prison, is when there going hunting. I asked them, why he dosent spend more time his beagle/hound and treat him as a pet and family member, and they say that they make bad pets, or i get some variation of you never treat them like pets. Then they tell me that they have a house dog for pet duties. Usually one of the easy to train breads like shepards and labs and what not.

These are decent people i think, but this situation sickens me and it seems that, for every good hunter, that loves his beagle, and keeps them for pets the rest of the year, i keep running into more that treat there beagles/hunting hounds in the same horrid manner.

I intend to hunt my Newt(Newton is his long name lol, gonna get him a brother and name him Fig.) but hunting is only his part time job. He is first and foremost my buddy.

This is especialy hitting home for me, seeing as right now he has been banished to his kennel. I came home from work one day and both my parents and my wifes parents had come over and basicly had a intervention. My wifes parents told me and my wife that its wrong and unclean and un healthy to keep dogs indoors, and that they chew on everything. My parents then launched into there anti indoor dog settiment, basicly saying the same thing. My mother said how her parents had indoor animals and there was hair and stink everywhere and it disgusted her. I dont remember it being bad, seing as i stayed there 3+months out of the year.

TO make matters worse, my dads diatribe was the final nail in the coffin of Newts indoor home life. He basicly said all dogs are wild creatures and that they can just snap and attack for no reason. That having him indoors with my 2 very young children is dangerous, because "they go for the face and the throat, there viscous they'll just rip your kids apart." when they attack. Then my mom says, Id hate to see something happen to my grand kids. He basicly made it sound like it was just a matter of time before Newt attacked My 3yr old or 1.6 year old.

Tho he has never done anything aggressive twords my kids, even tho they are very rough with him.

I guess my anger and rage at the hunters mistreating there dogs, is because of my current situation, were my contact with him is limited to walks and our outdoor times. I am saddend at my situation and angered at the poor souls that arnt loved by the hunters that use them.

I know ill eventually work out my situation, im currently saving for a Invisifence, which im told will give him much more freedom. Ill be pairing the fence with a good trainer, that has degrees in animal behavior and is experianced with inground fencing systems and training. While i know some of you dont trust your beagles alone all day with a invisi fence, the only way ill know if it works for him is to use it. So stay tuned for a report on that.

Tho my situation is temporary, i feel for the poor dogs who will most likely spend there whole lives in their kennel, only to be released to hunt a few weeks a year.

Any thoughts about this and the original topic are appreciated.

·
Registered
220 Posts
the man we got our pups from kept them in a kennel as well. puppies were taken from mom at 6 weeks to sort out the strong ones. they were thrown in the pen and all the dogs would scavenge through the dirt for the old roy kibble and leftovers thrown there. puppies were lucky to get anything or even survive the mad scramble for food.

my mom was raised on a farm and animals were not pets and not named. they had a job to do and that was all. she hates the idea of them in the house. luckily I live in my house not theirs. sometimes even parents need to learn MYOB.

point is,
people are weird!
no, people believe what they were taught to believe and its rare that you can convince them they are wrong.
on the other hand if it is your home and your children it is your choice where your dogs live.
when its time for the visit we go to my parents house since the animals bother them here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree. I've kept dogs in pens before, and it's wrong. I couldn't even imagine doing it now. And the parents forcing/shaming you into penning up your Beagle? Sorry, I'd have told them all to stuff it. "None of your business, I feel my kids are safer with the Beagle than they are with YOU!" Besides, that dog will protect those kids with its life.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, as i said, my situation is temporary. Im working on working it out with my wife. Were saving up for the invisifence and am close to being able to pay for it in full. Which will give him a great amount of freedom. I am even considering getting a rabbit, putting a invisifence collor on it and letting him chase it around the yard all day. '

As of right now, my wife is currantly against him coming inside at all. Im taking him today to a groomer and gettin him groomed professionaly. She told me that once that is done, she will let me bring him in for a few hours a day then back out at night. Its not perfect, but its a start.

Sadly, all the work i had done potty training him has probably been flushed down the toilet. He was great about not pottying, as long as we stuck to our scheduals. If we arrived home late from work by more then 45 mins, he would have a accident. Which annoyed the heck out of her.

Hopefully as time goes by ill be able to reintroduce him permanantly back into the home.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aye it is a uphill battle, but one that i am willing to wage. She came from a good family, her dads a Large animal vet, and they had lots of pets and such.. All out side tho. They were raised to believe that all animals belong out side. My mom, well i can understand her points. She feels her home stank becuase her mom sapposedly never cleaned up after the hair and such. Tho Newt didnt have shedding problems, its one of those once burned situations.

Now at the beginning, newt was out side, but as it got colder, we got him potty trained so he could come inside. For a while it was a chore, due to the fact his bladder and intestines demanded we stick to a tight schedual. As time went bye his accidents be came few and far between. We learned to be home by 6pm and take him out immediately. Besides my parents and her parents "intervention", what prompted her to take him out side was the chewing. He seemingly wanted nothing to do with the Kong, was only mildly interested in the rope, didnt want to play with any of the tennis balls, preferring to chew on here old coffee table and her shoes.

Hopefully as newts training progresses, and he continues to get older and mature, that ill be able to bring him in permanantly.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I am not a fan on the invisible fences for beagles. If they get a scent or see something to chase, their instict will override the shock and just go. Then they will be reluctant to come back into the yard and face the shock again as they aren't diven by instinct to come back.

I have 3 beagles and they all live inside. It is just a matter of housetraining and cleaning. We also have a doggie door so they can go outside anytime they want. They sleep in our bedroom and they all have their own spots to sleep although Niko usually ends up in our bed by the morning.

Beagles are pack animals and need to be with their pack. Tucker is extreamly gentle and have no problems with hime being around small children and babies. They can pull on his ears and tail, and he just takes it. Niko and Yuki were not trained and socialized properly when puppies so we don't trust them the same. They will be two in September and we just got them in November. Hopefully over time they can be trusted.

When we are not there, the girls are in a crate in our family room so they won't get into trouble. Tucker has free roam in the house.

I think if you always supervise the children around your beag, they will learn. Also a crate is good when you can't be around but you don't want to put him outside.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
my mom was raised on a farm and animals were not pets and not named. they had a job to do and that was all.
My mom was raised the same way. After she married my dad-him being an avid dog lover-she changed her views about dogs to be kept only as workers--but they were still kept outside. Growing up, we had dogs, cats and horses, but all were kept outside (well obviously, the horses, but you see what I'm trying to say).

When we got Starla, I was nervous about taking her to my mom's to visit because I knew that my mom had always been very anti-animal in the house. I guess I was lucky, because she wasn't that way at all. She's been nothing but an awesome "Beagle Grandma" since day one. She even sends Starla Snoopy cards every holiday, constantly buys her toys and treats and proudly sports her "I love my Grandbeagle" sweatshirt I made her for Christmas.

I know that a lot of people's views on animals coincides with the environments they were raised in, but my mom is proof that some of those mindsets can be softened and changed. I guess it just takes the right amount of time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not a fan on the invisible fences for beagles. If they get a scent or see something to chase, their instict will override the shock and just go. Then they will be reluctant to come back into the yard and face the shock again as they aren't diven by instinct to come back.

snip.
Good Luck.

I will be working with a trainer, when it comes to the invisifence. Like i said, ill have to wait and see how it works. Right now the invisi fence is by far affordable then a traditional fence, which would cost me many thousands to put in. All beags are different, and maybe newt will react well to the the invisifence, and maybe he will only be allowed out side when were home to supervise. At this point who knows, but im willing to try. The way i look at it, if it works and he stays in it with no problems, then his level of freedom and enjoyment just went up by a few acres. My yard is about 2+ acres.(give or take a few dozen feet) If it dosent work all the time, he will still be able to have his freedom, while were home after work. Which is still a considerable amount of time.

I realy cant wait for this trainer to start working with us, she will help us work on the more advanced stuff and also teach me how to train any further pups i know ill get. I know that by next year, after the fence is put in, ill get a beagle puppy. On the rabbit hunt, i figure 2 beags are better then 1.

I fear this battle im waging will cuase irreperable harm to his emotional well being. He still gets massivly excited to see me, jumps on me and wags his whole body, but isnt a snuggler. Prefering to sit or lay next to me. Which saddens me, tho i understand. He was barely loved on at his previous home and probably has issues letting people in emotionaly.

Ps. On a seperate note, im feeding him nutro ultra holistic, is that good, he was on ol roy, and his coat looks vastly better, and is now almost dandruff free. lol. I Know that the dog food analisis website says, Orijen is better then Nutro ultra holistic, but he seams to love it, surly is a vast improvement over what he was eating. Considered raw diet,but wow thats a whole nuther ball of wax.

·
Registered
959 Posts
It's all I can do to not cry, scream and throw a fit at your posts. BUT, then I am a person who has always been accused of treating my beagles more like people than like animals. I come from a farming community, and you are right, unless there is a big difference between working animals and house animals most are doomed to spend their time outside, or kenneled. We do have neighbors whose labs are hunting dogs, and although he keeps them penned most of the time, they get out to run and play each and everyday. They are strictly too big to be in a small house.

As far as your family is concerned...well, there is the idea that this is your pet, and you will treat and raise him as you see fit. MYOB. That would be my response. If you don't like my dog, don't come over.....but then my family is big on dogs being in the house....I'll be thinking of you and your Newt....it's a tough show.

As for the ones you meet at work, you have an opportunity to m ake sure that these animals are safe and treated well. Please take that opportunity, if you see an animal that you feel is being abused or not treated well, report it to your animal control people...it's an anonymous report much like child abuse...and they'd never know it was you. Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cobismom, Im sorry for upsetting you. Im truly fighting the good fight here. The battle is swingingin my favor more and more each week. I just found out one of my wifes other big reasons for putting him out was the fact that we rent this house. She just told me this morning, "Its just that... its not our house". She dosent want something to happen to the interior of the house. Even tho we have been given permission from our land lords.

I know that one day soon, probably sooner then i think, things will be back to normal and ill have a happy report for you all.

One issue i need to figure out tho, is some thing he'll chew on other then our coffee table and shoes. If i can figure that out, ill most likely win this fight.

I am sorry if i have offended anyone with my delema, i just needed to talk about my issues, and hopefully get some advice. I didnt expect to have such a emotional impact with people.

I know one thing, i was on the Midwest BREW website. (midwest Beagle rescue) I was reading the descriptions and one particular made me break down and cry. It was a adult male beagle, whos owner decided to stop hunting, so he turned him over to the pound. Why get rid of him becuase you dont hunt any more. Did you not love him. It made me just break down and cry. My wife, told me that soon as the fence is in, well adopt a unwanted hunting beagle. Hopefully he'll still be there, if not im sure there will be another.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have a small update today. In my endevor to find things he will chew on, i discovered, he loves flavored flat rawhides. I gave him one and he immedieatly took to it and ignored the shoes.

Now i know this in of it self is only a small victory but it lead to another small victory. I was talking to my wife, and she said that if he continues to do good with the raw hides that she will allow me to start slowly reintroducing him to the indoors. I have to do it slowly and as she said, on her time.

I know this is just a small victory, and one that will have to take place over a long period, but i think it is a step in the right direction.

On a side note, I think i am going to stay away from puppies for any future adoptions. I have been thinking about this alot the last few nights. When i get my fencing and training situation finished with newt, im going to adopt rescue beagles. More specificly unwanted unloved abandoned hunting beagles. After reading some discriptions on the brew site, and thinking about it, i just broke down and cried. I started crying and thats when it came to me. Maybe thats what God intends of me, maybe my purpose in this life is to love the unwanted and unloved utilitarian dogs that get used and thrown away. I need to pray about this, and see where God leads me for His will be done not mine.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Huh? Your wife makes 100% of the dog decisions? I used to be married years ago, and we had a Beagle together, and we always made the dog decisions together - nobody got to make all the rules. That being said, I'm glad to hear you are making baby steps toward your goals with your dog, though. On the invisible fence: I have two friends with Beagles who tried that expensive route, and neither were successful - Beagles will walk through a lot worse than a shock on the neck to follow their noses! Your heart is in the right place, though! Good luck to you and Newt.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Crazy, if i dont include her, nothing will get done. If i do things she dosent agree with, it creates tension and starts fights. Im respecting how she feels. She wants him to come in gradualy, which is ok with me. By respecting her, and how she feels, ill be able to slowly change how she feels on this subject. Becuase in the end, ill still get what i want.

The reason i am considering the Invisifence is the fact it is far more affordable then traditional fencing options. As i said earlier it would be very cost prohibitive to put up traditional fencing over the 2+acres of my lawn. I guess i could fence in a small portion of the yard, but then whats the point of that. It would be like going from one kennel to the other. Either way, he wont be out side unsupervised. Being able to let him loose in the yard with out a leash on will make training and agility a little more easy on the 2 of us.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My dad grew up with beagles outside also but my mother told me they were the only family in thier community who had a beagle as a pet, everyone thought they were crazy because they were hunting animals but they had thier pet beagle and he lived to be about 15 years old I think. I have a beagle Katie, she sleeps with us even, shes my youngest child in my eyes.. hehe. Hope it all works out or has worked out with your situation. Some people are hard headed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
he is slowly taking to his chew toys. It seams he picks them up chews a little bit, then moves it to were he wants them. He seams to be saving it. LOL i wounder what he is saving them for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Howdy, I know its been a long time since i have posted anything and figured i would share with and discuss with you something that i have been noticing.

I work as a delivery man, and as such i get to talk to alot of people. I meet all sorts of characters through out my travels and many if not most of them are nice people.

On my travels i have encounterd a few people that own beagles. Most of them are wounderful friends to there beagles. Unfortunately i have met a few other dog owners, that do not treat there beagle/hunting hounds right. These guys keep there beagles/hunting hounds in a kennel all year long, only going in to clean up and feed them and vet checks. Only bringing the beagle/hunting hound out of its prison, is when there going hunting. I asked them, why he dosent spend more time his beagle/hound and treat him as a pet and family member, and they say that they make bad pets, or i get some variation of you never treat them like pets. Then they tell me that they have a house dog for pet duties. Usually one of the easy to train breads like shepards and labs and what not.

These are decent people i think, but this situation sickens me and it seems that, for every good hunter, that loves his beagle, and keeps them for pets the rest of the year, i keep running into more that treat there beagles/hunting hounds in the same horrid manner.

I intend to hunt my Newt(Newton is his long name lol, gonna get him a brother and name him Fig.) but hunting is only his part time job. He is first and foremost my buddy.

This is especialy hitting home for me, seeing as right now he has been banished to his kennel. I came home from work one day and both my parents and my wifes parents had come over and basicly had a intervention. My wifes parents told me and my wife that its wrong and unclean and un healthy to keep dogs indoors, and that they chew on everything. My parents then launched into there anti indoor dog settiment, basicly saying the same thing. My mother said how her parents had indoor animals and there was hair and stink everywhere and it disgusted her. I dont remember it being bad, seing as i stayed there 3+months out of the year.

TO make matters worse, my dads diatribe was the final nail in the coffin of Newts indoor home life. He basicly said all dogs are wild creatures and that they can just snap and attack for no reason. That having him indoors with my 2 very young children is dangerous, because "they go for the face and the throat, there viscous they'll just rip your kids apart." when they attack. Then my mom says, Id hate to see something happen to my grand kids. He basicly made it sound like it was just a matter of time before Newt attacked My 3yr old or 1.6 year old.

Tho he has never done anything aggressive twords my kids, even tho they are very rough with him.

I guess my anger and rage at the hunters mistreating there dogs, is because of my current situation, were my contact with him is limited to walks and our outdoor times. I am saddend at my situation and angered at the poor souls that arnt loved by the hunters that use them.

I know ill eventually work out my situation, im currently saving for a Invisifence, which im told will give him much more freedom. Ill be pairing the fence with a good trainer, that has degrees in animal behavior and is experianced with inground fencing systems and training. While i know some of you dont trust your beagles alone all day with a invisi fence, the only way ill know if it works for him is to use it. So stay tuned for a report on that.

Tho my situation is temporary, i feel for the poor dogs who will most likely spend there whole lives in their kennel, only to be released to hunt a few weeks a year.

Any thoughts about this and the original topic are appreciated.
Since millions of people keep dogs as indoor house pets, and have their children grow up with them, your parents' and inlaws' opinions are just OPINIONS. Please don't let them deprive you, your children and Newt of the family experience that they deserve. Dogs are certainly not wild, any more than humans are, though there are some breeds that are closer to it than others! They have been domesticated house pets for thousands of years. And I've seen way dirtier pet-free households than my own with 5 dogs. My sister raised her three girls with a houseful of dogs and the dogs were more socialized and chill than most.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Origins of Dogs | Discover Magazine
Since millions of people keep dogs as indoor house pets, and have their children grow up with them, your parents' and inlaws' opinions are just OPINIONS. Please don't let them deprive you, your children and Newt of the family experience that they deserve. Dogs are certainly not wild, any more than humans are, though there are some breeds that are closer to it than others! They have been domesticated house pets for thousands of years. And I've seen way dirtier pet-free households than my own with 5 dogs. My sister raised her three girls with a houseful of dogs and the dogs were more socialized and chill than most.
That is true; they are certainly not wild; they have been domesticated longer than any other animal. My sister and I grew up with dogs in the house; our family fostered many, many dogs throughout the years and we were never "ripped apart".
The Origins of Dogs | Discover Magazine

Rosie says, "Do I look like a wild animal? Humans!"
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Wood Companion dog

Dog Carnivore Comfort Dog breed Fawn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts