Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so the vet showed me about 4 different times.. it looks so easy... yet I cannot seem to express the anal glands on either beagle.. and they need it done!!! I hate having to pay the vet (plus it stresses out the boys) to do this every month.. anyone have any easy way to explain just how this is done??? I have a feeling once I actually am successful once I will be able to do it over again no problem..

·
Registered
511 Posts
There are a couple videos on YouTube that might help.

Don't feel so bad-I've never been able to do it either. I suspect I don't squeeze hard enough, but the look Murphy gives me when I grab his backside and start squeezing makes be break out in laughter and I fail every time!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Having someone hold the dog makes the job so much easier. Once you get the hang of it, though, it's no big deal. Beware, though, if you are sensitive to foul smells! I would also reccommend that you do it outside! P..U....

·
Registered
847 Posts
Can I ask why you need to do it so often? A normal healthy dog with a good diet shouldn't need them suppressed on a regular basis. Only if you see them licking the area a lot or scooting around on their butts. We've had Bodie's done twice. Once during one of his first visits to the vet and the second maybe a month or so ago while at the groomers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of my boys tend to have thick and pasty oil in his glands and even with added fiber he tends to need them expressed regularly.. my little Jack has super thin oil in his and so he doesn't need it as often. I take them and have them done routinely to prevent any problems down the road... infected anal glands can be bad news and I do not want that for sure! But my boys are pretty spoiled, we brush their teeth nightly and trim nails twice a month, clean ears twice weekly etc.. they hate it, but they tolerate it..

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Originally Posted By: Brien & Bodie
Can I ask why you need to do it so often? A normal healthy dog with a good diet shouldn't need them suppressed on a regular basis. Only if you see them licking the area a lot or scooting around on their butts. We've had Bodie's done twice. Once during one of his first visits to the vet and the second maybe a month or so ago while at the groomers.
I do Coco's weekly or sometimes twice a week. He tends to build up more often and then accidents happen when it's not expressed. The Vet said its normal and there's no need for concern as for as his health...he just has more than the normal dog.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Originally Posted By: Brien & Bodie
Also, dogs with seasonal allergies can have full anals on a monthly or even more frequent basis. My Jack's are done monthly....

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Note to self: Hug the Bagel All beagles are not the same, the Bagel always does this stiff rear leg kick after doing his business and I figure he is dealing with what you all are doing, in the 11 and years, I've never had to assist the Bagel. I'm afraid those that don't have are reluctant to chime in, we ain't bragging, just lucky!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts