Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beagle, Ginger, has had anal gland issues for quite some time now. Last visit to the vet I had him clean her out and it helped for quite some time. She still has time where she leaks and it really smells, but it hasn't been that bad...

A new issue... every once and awhile I will notice that she has blood on the opening of her butt (almost dripping down) after she comes inside (after I assume she has taken a poop.) It is quite bright, but sometimes looks mucusy. Today she had quite a bit of blood and as I was cleaning it off I noticed what looked like some tissue or something like that coming out of her butt. I had to really wipe/pull and I got it out it was maybe a quarter of an inch in size.

Should I be concerned? Has anyone had anything like this with beagles with anal glad problems or anything like this at all?

She acts fine..no changes in behavior at all.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I think a trip to the vet is definitely in order. The tissue would be a cause for real concern for me. My Chloe had several abcessed anal glands - which was terribly painful for her (the treatment was also very painful), so after a few of those, she went for surgery to have the anal glands removed. The abcesses made her very sick - she wouldn't eat - became very lethargic and ran a temperature. As much as I hated putting her through the surgery, it was better to get it over with. It would be worth a vet visit for Miss Ginger I think. Please keep us updated!
Hugs 'n puppy kisses.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure if it is tissue or a thicker mucus. I hate to describe it like this, but is kinda like some of the discharge besides blood a woman has on her period. Does that make sense?

Beaglesmom- what kind of symptoms did you see with the abscessed gland besides the lethargic behavior and fever and such? As I mentioned Ginger's behavior has not changed. Do they bleed like that? Ginger only has it after going to the bathroom and it is not all the time.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I would suggest getting Ginger to the vet as well. Booker, Moose and Popcorn have all had anal gland problems, including infections (and Booker and Moose both eventually had to have theirs removed) and even when they had infections they didn't show any symptoms... the problems were just discovered when they went in for their regular squeeze at the vet. I've never seen any of them have any signs of blood, either... although I have to admit I don't look too closely back there most of the time!!

Keep us posted - hopefully all is well with Ginger but best to be sure.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Well, when a beagle won't EAT - it's definitely time for a vet visit. In addition to the symptoms previous noted, Chloe didn't eat. I never noticed any bleeding - but you have to understand that I have 9 beagles - so I don't always look at their behinds either.
I'm not sure how old Ginger is, and if she's been spayed? Intact female dogs do have bleeding when they're in heat. It is very like menstrual blood. She could also have a urinary tract infection - or a uterine infection, either of which could cause bleeding. Either way, I still think a vet check is in order. Please keep us informed.

Glenda

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She definitely still eats...she could eat all day long I think. Ginger is 2 1/2 and she was spayed as a pup.

I got my notification in the mail to get her in for a couple of booster shots, so I am gonna make that appointment and ask the vet while I am there about this other issue. I will let you all know how it turns out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts