Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have that problem with Bloom, unfortunately evry two months her anal glands get full, a terrible smell is coming out of her anus and she starts to rub her butt on the carpet. The vet says usually dogs express their anal glands themselves by pooping (if the feces are hard enough). That got me thinking...maybe that's a typical Beagle Problem? Because Bloom's feces are hard since I only feed her dry food. And all the other dogs around here don't have that problem. EXCEPT FOR THE BEAGLES!!!
Even my friend says she thinks it might be a breed related thingy.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Well, all three of our beagles have also had this problem (Booker and Moose both had their anal glands removed eventually - Moose because he kept getting infections and Booker because hers kept filling faster and faster and getting harder and more painful to express - and now Popcorn has an infection in hers... geez). Our vet agrees that beagles and some other breeds are more prone to have these problems than others... and it definitely seems that a lot of BW beagles do too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just noticed this problem with Mauka yesterday and I gotta say that I'm glad to realize it's nothing life threatening. I'd noticed the putrid smell several times but couldn't pin point it until yesterday. I have never had this problem with any of the dogs I've had before him so I got to looking on the net about it and a few sites suggested a high fiber diet or even adding Metamucil to their food or water to harden their stool and put more pressure on the glands on their way out the door. Anybody know of any dog foods that are higher in fiber? I looked at the local pet store but their knowledge on the subject was less than helpful.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi, I'm just learning a bit about this too and just posted what my vet told me in another thread. Do any of your dogs have allergies?

I did not know this - and wouldn't even have guessed it - but dogs with allergies frequently have anal glands that fill repeatedly. My vet just told me today when I took Jack in for reverse sneezing and scratching all over that his dog has full anal glands all summer during allergy season. I was so surprised, I would never have put the two together. But sure enough when I told my vet that Jack had been expressing lately and I just had them done two weeks ago. We checked them and sure enough, they were full.

Just FYI

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hmmm. Interesting. Popcorn has anal gland issues, reverse sneezes more than the other two combined, and for the past few weeks has been scratching at her mouth... could they all be related? Definitely a question for the vet!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Indeed. Well Bloom and I are on our way to the vet. It's time for her yearly inoculation. I'll make sure to ask that.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The only one of the beagles that has had a problem is my little Chloe. She started getting abcesses on her anal glands - which caused her to be ill, not to mention painful. After about 3 times of having to have the abcesses cauterized with iodine (which just about killed me) I said no more, and last August she had the glands removed (vet's suggestion). Took her a couple of weeks to recuperate, but after that she was fine and no more abcesses or scooting. I felt so sorry for her, but I'm glad the problem is fairly easily solved.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hmmmm...that allergy connection is interesting. Jersey only had problems with her anal glands one time and that was about the time when she was also having some allergy problems. She seems to have out grown those allergy issues and we haven't had any anal gland problems since (knocks wood!). Amber had lots of problems with her glands and had to have them expressed pretty regularly. She had a lot of allergy issues though. Makes sense now...

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
It is definately a beagle thing. My first beagle (male) had the problem pretty bad so the vet would check (and clean if necessary) on a regular basis. Molly is a girlie beagle and so far no issues.

The type of kibble might make a difference too. Some kibble tends to make the stools more loose while others have natural stool firming stuff in them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Originally Posted By: RedsoxIndeed. Well Bloom and I are on our way to the vet. It's time for her yearly inoculation. I'll make sure to ask that.

I'd be curious to know what your vet said - possible or rediculous?? Second (third and fourth) opinions are great!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
That is interesting. Since we got Violet, she has been itching. Not horribly and I can't find a flea (though we will be getting some meds for that tomorrow, since she came from a shelter), but she does scratch and she's on Canidae, so it's not a food allergy. We thought maybe because she came from LA to the Central Valley, our pollens are much worse and that's her issue. Then just this morning, when I went to let her out, I noticed she kind of scooted. It was something that was hard to tell if it was a scoot or a submissive gesture, but now that I've read this, I will ask the vet about her anal glands. Thanks for the tips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts